Gym Etiquette: The Do’s And Don’ts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

With the new year in full swing it is likely that many of you by now feel like you are a seasoned gym go-er. The gyms at the moment are busier than ever, now is a perfect time to go through some casual gym etiquette dos and don’ts.

Do:

Smile! It’s nice to see a friendly, smiling face in the gym. Gym-goers often feel like a “mini community” with a shared common interest, so join that community by wearing a smile on your face. Say hello and have a chat with others in the gym, the chances are they will be happy to chat.

Don’t:

Judge! Everyone has to start somewhere. If you see someone struggling or not performing an exercise correctly, either don’t look or approach them and offer them help. Laughing at others is only going to knock their self-esteem and slower their progress.

Do:

Take polite precautions. Its always nice to double check if someones finished on a machine before you jump on, or check if its okay to grab a weight from their area. Little things like that avoid awkward moments and are generally a nice thing to do.

Don’t:

Hurry someone up. If someone is on a machine you need to use, and the gym is busy, feel free to ask them how long they have left, but do not be impatient. Quietly wait for them to finish or find something else to do in the meantime.

Do:

Clean and tidy up after yourself. If youre done with a squat rack, undress the weights. If you’re done using dumb bells, put them back on the rack. If you leave sweat marks on a piece of equipment, please please please use the wipes provided and clean it up!

Don’t:

Rush! Take your time with your exercises and move on to the next one when you are ready. Don’t rush around and try to fit everything in to a short space of time, as this will often lead to a disregard for tidying equipment away, and most importantly you will not get optimum results from your workout.

I am a second year student studying Politics with Sociology at the University of Exeter. I have a passion for exercise, fitness, and writing.