Changes I’ve Made to Improve my Mental Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

I’ve started to make some small steps to improve my mental health and well-being, I hope these tips can help you out!

Going outside

I love the outdoors. I’m not super great with outdoor activities, but I have found that making a small effort everyday to spend a little time outside. It improves my mood significantly. Whether it is going on a walk to the beach, or just taking the long route home I am so much happier when I’ve been outside.

Getting dinner with friends

I have had such a strong love-hate relationship with Endicott’s dining hall. The food isn’t the best, and as a vegetarian it can be really hard to find good options. But lately I have been trying to go to the dining hall more often with my friends, and it has improved my well-being a lot. Not only am I fueling my body and spending time outside of my room, but I am also catching up with friends and sharing our highs and lows of the day.

Being involved on campus

This one has been a bit tricky for, me but it has helped the most mentally. I have been a part of Her Campus since the beginning of this academic year and I have been involved regularly. But since the second semester I have also joined a leadership club, a peer study group, and I will be a student leader next semester. Being involved fuels my social battery and helps me satisfy my extraverted nature. I have met so many wonderful people and made so many new friends while being involved. It has truly changed my life for the better.

Walks/exercise

Now I am not a huge athlete or anything. I have only just started making a significant effort to exercise daily. I find that if I take time out of my day to go to the gym or to walk to a local coffee shop, I am able to burn off extra energy that I have. It also helps me to release stress and to have some time alone to think.

Making my bed every day

This one may sound the silliest, but it has really helped me! The first thing I do after waking up is making my bed. I have to do it. It helps me get a sense of organization at the start of the day that inspires me to get through the day. It encourages me not to get back into bed until later that night. My room always look more organized and super aesthetically pleasing.

Sticking with routine

I am a huge routine girl. If my routine gets thrown off, I feel like a mess for the rest of the day. But being able to wake up at the same time everyday, go to dinner then bed at the same time every day has helped me feel a little more sane. I like being able to know what to expect during my day and being able to look forward to certain things. Although I am not able to control every factor that determines my daily routine, being able to do certain things at the same time every day brings me a sense of peace.

Healthy communication and sticking up for myself

This one is difficult. Super difficult. For me I have always been the type of person who will deal with something thats bothering me just to maintain the peace. I am nonconfrontational, and I hate arguing. However there were a few things going on in my life that I had to speak out on for my own safety and well-being. I have been practicing being able to set boundaries and communicating with others when we have a disagreement. For some this may sound easy, but it has been so hard. I hope I can keep progressing because I have noticed myself living a happier life where I feel safe.

I hope that these tips may be able to help out. If you are struggling mentally please reach out to others for help, it will get better.

HCXO,

Jenna

Jenna Torgersen

Endicott '25

Hey! I’m Jenna (she/her) I am the interim secretary for HerCampus Endicott! I love writing articles for the website and I am a lover of sushi, harry styles, taylor swift and squishmallows!