rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Mental Health and Self-Care at Emory

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

I was shocked by a recent post my friend made on Facebook, stating that some students seeking Counselling and Psychological Services (CAPS) at Emory were being turned away until January 2017. Emory Dark Arts, a student-led mental health advocacy club, organized a silent protest before Thanksgiving in the form of a large-scale photography project to raise awareness about the magnitude of mental health issues on campus and to urge the administration to show greater care for students (search @emorydarkarts on Facebook to find their page and photos from the protest). This incident symbolizes a larger issue within college campuses: the lack of dialogue surrounding mental health issues.

Whether or not one suffers from a mental illness, college is a boiling pot of stress. What with the constant juggling between academics, a social life, extracurriculars, and finances, it’s completely normal for college students to feel overwhelmed. Part of the problem, however, is this fact exactly: the extent to which the idea of “being overwhelmed” has been normalized. Students are constantly competing with each other regarding their ability to work for multiple days with barely any sleep. We all know at least one person who fits the formula: perfect grades, vibrant social life, involved in multiple clubs and always glowing with energy, unfazed by sleep deprivation. With so many amazing peers surrounding us, it’s as easy to feel inspired as it is to deride ourselves for not being able to do what they can.

One of the most important things that I’ve learned through my college experience is the fact that everyone has different needs. You should always do what’s best for yourself rather than measuring yourself by others’ standards. Not only that, but you should never feel ashamed for wanting to reach out for help. We tend to overlook mental health, because it isn’t always visible, yet it’s just as important as physical well-being. If people go to doctors for various concerns, why should mental health be treated any differently?

Throughout my time spent at college, I’ve seen many friends who have had to take some time off to take care of themselves. One of my friends told me that she had felt guilty for doing so, and that she had felt as though everyone viewed her as fragile for breaking down. No one should ever have to feel this way. I believe that it takes courage to accept that one is struggling and to allow oneself to be vulnerable by asking for help. The idea that one has to be some sort of iron figure can be likened to toxic masculinity; just as the assumption that men should not show emotion is detrimental, so is the idea that one should be able to prioritize one’s academic success and keep a strong face on all the time.

Don’t ever feel like your concerns are too small to go to see a counsellor; both myself and many other friends that I have spoken to have visited CAPS at some point in our college career for various reasons. If professional help is unavailable, try opening up to someone close to you, or talking to someone through the Emory Helpline, a student-run telephone hotline, at 404-727-4357. Take steps to take care of yourself and to be receptive to the needs of others. As students show greater mental health awareness, hopefully Emory will follow.

Her Campus at Emory University