11 Wardrobe Essentials Every Girl Must Have

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Whether you’re a seasoned fashionista or a “jeans-and-a-t-shirt” kind of girl, there are certain items that everyone should have in their closet. Here’s a rundown of 11 must-haves:

The Little Black Dress: or LBD for short. Tomboy or girly-girl, a little black dress works for everyone. Not only is black slimming on absolutely everyone, but it’s such an easy color to wear, too. A black dress will come in handy more times than you can count (date parties, fancy dinners, business casual events, to name a few). You can wear it for formal occasions, or dress it down to wear to class. It can literally be worn any and every way. The best part is that they’re so versatile, so no one will notice you’re wearing the same thing twice!

Jeans: Of course, everyone already owns a pair of jeans, but I’m not talking about a regular old pair of denim. No, I’m talking about that pair that fits like a glove, transforms your body, and will last a lifetime. If you’re ever going to splurge on an item, it should be the perfect pair of jeans. Whether it’s in dark, medium, or light wash, you’ll fall in love with them and wonder how you ever lived without one. There’s the perfect fit for every body type, so it’s definitely worth hunting around. I’ve had my favorite pair for years, and I don’t know what I would do without them!

Collared Button Down: a classic. These babies were introduced years ago and have yet to fade from the fashion scene. This piece can be worn in so many different ways: you can wear a classic button down with a pair of jeans for a casual look; tucked into a skirt for a proper occasion; even throw an oversized one on over a bathing suit for an effortlessly chic beach look!

Skirt: while a skirt usually doesn’t make everyone’s must-have list, I am a firm believer that it deserves a spot. Whether you want to go for pencil or A-line, having a skirt in your closet makes dressing up just that much easier. You could argue that you’re set if you have a dress, but a skirt has so much more potential, as you can throw on so many different tops for different looks.

Boots: these babies come in every shape and size, so there’s no excuse that you can’t find a pair that suits you. Whether you prefer chic riding boots or tough biker ones, boots are an essential for every fall and winter wardrobe.

White & Black Shirts: these staples practically speak for themselves. Simple shirts in these classic colors are essential for every girl. Whether they’re used for layering or wearing a simple tee with a pair of crazy pants, a white or black shirt is definitely something you’ll be grabbing to throw on all the time.

Black Heels: these shoes will be your best friends every time you need to dress up. While it can be tempting to go out and buy a pair of statement pumps (trust me, been there, done that), having a traditional black heel first is a must. They’ll go with everything, never leaving you in a last minute OMG-my-shoes-don’t-go-with-my-outfit! crisis. Plus, they even turn a casual jeans-and-a-top outfit into an ensemble ready for a night out!

Blazer: whether you like to wear them casually or just when you have a business casual event, you need to have a blazer. Especially in your college career you’ll be needing one to dash to some meeting or interview, and you don’t want to have to scramble last minute in your roommate’s closet to find one. Plus, they’re a great casual wear as well, and you can even use them as a lightweight coat in the summer! (See how to wear a blazer here).

Flats: the perfect shoe for the spring and summer seasons. Flats are such a classic shoe that they will go with everything, and they’re usually pretty comfortable. You can wear them to interviews or nice places if you’re not a high heel lover, but they’re also a great, casual shoe for class. They also come in handy on days where your pedicure isn’t looking so fab, and they transition perfectly between boots and sandals. If you, like me, are kind of over the traditional flat shape, you can always try a pointed toe or a smoking flat for some variety!

Sneakers: I can hear you all thinking “sneakers? Really?” and yes, really. I’m not talking about your neon running shoes that you wear to the gym, but rather a pair of sneakers that you can wear with non-work out clothes. Sneakers are great for long walking days if you’re on vacation, or even concerts and festivals where you don’t want to ruin your favorite flats. Cute sneakers work year-round and now that they’re so on-trend, it won’t be hard to find a pair that you love. Trust me, you’ll thank me later.

Coats: I know that now it’s finally warming up, this probably isn’t something you want to be thinking about, but hear me out. Most people think that coats ruin an outfit, but if you find a good one, it can totally make the outfit. A great one can last you a few seasons, so really find one that you love. For the most versatility, try a longer style, which works both with pants and a dress.

I’m not saying you have to go out and buy all these items immediately, but keep this list in mind next time you’re at the mall. You’ll be much happier with a great jean that’ll last a lifetime than sparkly pumps that make your feet bleed in the long run, trust me!  

Her Campus at Emory University