A Definitive Ranking of Taylor Swift’s 117 Song Discography: Songs 10-1

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

If you have been following my writing over the past four years, you know that I have done album reviews (reputationLover) and album rankings, but taking on Taylor’s 117 song discography is something that I’ve wanted to do for a long time. So here it goes, every Taylor Swift song ranked (from her 7 studio albums), from my least favorite to my favorite and the reasons to match. Some of the factors taken into consideration were overall sound, lyrical complexity, placement on albums, amount of times skipped, musical composition, and tone. Since this list is clearly extensive, I’ve taken the time to split it up into multiple different articles linked below so you are not scrolling forever. 

Songs 117-101

Songs 100-91

Songs 90-81

Songs 80-71

Songs 70-61

Songs 60-51

Songs 50-41

Songs 40-31

Songs 30-21

Songs 20-11

10.) “Haunted”—Speak Now 

This song is reputation’s little sister, and you can’t change my mind about that. I love the power and energy that this song has, and if there is anyone who could make a banjo rock and roll, it’s Taylor. This should have been a big hint that Taylor had a dark side, but I don’t think any of us ever expected a whole album of it. Never mind me holding out hope that TS8 will be reputation part two. I know the chances are slim but…a girl can dream.

Favorite Line: “You and I walk a fragile line // I have known it all this time // But I never thought I’d live to see it break // It’s getting dark and it’s all so quiet // And I can’t trust anything now // And it’s coming over you like it’s all a big mistake”

9.) “White Horse”—Fearless

This song has always been one of my favorites. I think that we are all taught as young girls that we are princesses and someday prince charming will save us and this song reminds us that that is bullsh*t. Don’t rely on a man to be happy—follow your dreams and maybe you’ll find your prince charming (or princess charming if you prefer) along the way.  

Favorite Line: “’Cause I’m not your princess, this ain’t a fairytale // I’m gonna find someone someday who might actually treat me well // This is a big world, that was a small town // There in my rear view mirror disappearing now // And it’s too late for you and your white horse // Now it’s too late for you and your white horse to catch me now”

8.) “Come In with The Rain”—Fearless

This song is another level. It really takes a complex feeling of love, but not loving the way someone is acting, and lays it out in a beautiful song. It is to say that if someone really wants to be with you, they will stop doing the things that hurt you, but that you shouldn’t have to wait for them to make that change. If they want, you will be there, but if not, you are moving on. As much as you want to love them, loving someone who can’t see they are hurting you is not fair to you. You deserve better than that, no matter how much you want to be with them. I think that this song is a really great representation of being willing to love someone who is working on themselves, but not at the cost of being hurt by them. 

Favorite Line: “I’ve watched you so long // Screamed your name // I don’t know what else I can say // But I’ll leave my window open // ‘Cause I’m too tired at night for all these games // Just know I’m right here hopin’ // That you’ll come in with the rain”

7.) “Starlight”—RED

This song is one of my absolute favorites, and I can’t really explain why. Since the moment I heard this song, I was hooked, and it is one of my favorite songs to play at top volume with the windows down. This is a summer song through and through, and it really embodies the feeling of freedom and fun all wrapped into one perfect song. 

Favorite Line: “‘Don’t you see the starlight, starlight? // Don’t you dream impossible things?’”

6.) “Lover”—Lover

I have confessed my love for this song a thousand times, and I will certainly do it a thousand more. This song is absolutely amazing, and I think it is hands down one of Taylor’s best songs. The only reason I have listed a least favorite line here because to me, taking the Christmas lights down in January is normal—but maybe it’s because I’m a New Englander and it’s still way too cold in January to want to take lights down? Either way, I’m still glad this song exists and is the namesake for this album. This bridge is by far the most incredible thing I’ve ever heard, and I don’t think anything will ever change that. 

Favorite Line: “Ladies and gentlemen, will you please stand? // With every guitar string scar on my hand // I take this magnetic force of a man to be my lover // My heart’s been borrowed and yours has been blue // All’s well that ends well to end up with you // Swear to be overdramatic and true to my lover”

Least Favorite Line: “We could leave the Christmas lights up ’til January”

5.) “I Think He Knows”—Lover

This song is the best on Lover. I know, I know, what about the “Lover” bridge? Yes, I know it’s wonderful, but this song embodies so much more of the fun side of love. Not only is it a LITERAL bop that you can’t help dance to, but it also conveys the joyous feelings of a fresh love that just makes you want to celebrate. 

Favorite Line: “I think he knows // His footprints on the sidewalk // Lead to where I can’t stop // Go there every night” 

4.) “Long Live”—Speak Now

I never thought that I would hear this song live, but when Taylor broke into this song on the reputation stadium tour, I knew I had ascended into heaven. Clearly, this is one of her best songs, and on top of that, is entirely self-written, like the entire Speak Now album. Long Live the walls we crashed through, the mountains we moved, and this song. 

Favorite Line: I can’t pick a favorite line because there are too many, so better yet—just go listen to it. 

3.) “Delicate”—reputation

This song is perfection, I mean, imagine thinking “Delicate” could have a bad line? Taylor didn’t float in a chariot of light singing this song for nothing. It is a step above most other Taylor songs, never mind all the other songs in existence. This song leaves them in the dust. 

Favorite Line: I can’t choose a favorite line from this song because I think it is one of the best songs that Taylor has ever written—Go watch the reputation stadium tour on Netflix. 

2.) “Don’t Blame Me”—reputation

The first time I heard this song it was like I was transported to another dimension. The amount of feelings that are poured into the lyrics of this song clearly can only come second to “All Too Well.” While this might not be a popular pick for Taylor’s second best song, if you watch the reputation stadium tour on Netflix this performance will change your entire life like it did mine. 

Favorite Line: The whole song is blessed. Go watch Taylor’s reputation stadium tour on Netflix and tell me this performance isn’t the most heavenly thing you have ever seen in your life. 

1.) “All Too Well”—RED

As if there could be another answer for Taylor’s best song. As much as I didn’t want to be cliche and choose “All Too Well,” you can’t deny that this is Taylor’s best song. There is no physical way to skip this song when listening, whether you want to get punched in the feels or not. This song is so powerful, lyrically beautiful, and emotional—there is nothing you can say to make me change my mind about it. We all know “All Too Well” saved the music industry and has been carrying it on her back since she was released in 2012. There aren’t enough words to explain my love for “All Too Well,” so I’ll just leave you with the hope that, one day, we will get the long lost nine minute version.

Favorite Line: I can’t pick a favorite line here, since this song is a masterpiece (and we will not be tearing this one up). Instead of finding out what my favorite line is, I think you should just go listen to the song.  

So there you have it! This was the hardest ranking I’ve done, since I realized there were many songs that I love equally, and it was grueling to pit them against each other. Obviously, my opinions are my opinions, but I think that if anything can be taken away from this, my favorite Taylor songs are the perfect description of me as a person, and Taylor is the greatest songwriter, arguably of all time. To end on my favorite quote from the Miss Americana documentary: “Taylor Swift IS the music industry.”

Talia is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Emerson. Talia is also a Chapter Advisor, Region Leader, and HSA Advisor. She has previously worked as an intern for the national headquarters of Her Campus in the community management department. Talia is a Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College in a 4+1 combined bachelor's and master's program in publishing. She is an aspiring writer and publisher. Talia is known for living life with her journal, a pen, and three lovely cats.