A Definitive Ranking of Taylor Swift’s 117 Song Discography: Songs 117-101

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

If you have been following my writing over the past four years, you know that I have done album reviews (reputation, Lover) and album rankings, but taking on Taylor’s 117 song discography is something that I’ve wanted to do for a long time. So here it goes, every Taylor Swift song ranked (from her 7 studio albums), from my least favorite to my favorite and the reasons to match. Below, find songs number 117 down to 101. 

117.)  “False God”—Lover

This song is garbage—and I say that with all the love of a Swiftie. There are no other words. It doesn’t flow, her words don’t match the beat of the song, and everything just feels off. I really love the concept for the song, but the execution just isn’t there for me. This is truly the only song of her’s that I dislike, and that is why it sits here at number 117. For reference though, it is still better than 97 percent of all other pop music and I do commend her for trying to do something new—it just didn’t really work here for me. Sorry “False God” stans. 

Favorite Line: “I know heaven’s a thing // I go there when you touch me, honey // Hell is when I fight with you // But we can patch it up good // Make confessions and we’re begging for forgiveness // Got the wine for you”

Least Favorite Line: “Staring out the window like I’m not your favorite town // I’m New York City, I still do it for you, babe”

116.) “The Last Time”—RED

For me, this song just doesn’t hit the mark. I feel like their voices don’t mix well together and that Gary Lightbody’s voice is overpowering, especially since he starts the song off. This is usually a big skip for me when I listen to RED.

Favorite Line: “You find yourself at my door // Just like all those times before // You wear your best apology // But I was there to watch you leave”

Least Favorite Line: “I imagine you are home // In your room, all alone // And you open your eyes into mine // And everything feels better”

115.) “Girl At Home”—RED

The idea behind “Girl At Home” is great, but the sound of it isn’t to the caliber that most Taylor Swift songs are. It is still better than a lot of other pop songs, but for Taylor, this one isn’t a contender with some of her other songs (114 of them, to be exact). 

Favorite Line: “I just wanna make sure, // You understand perfectly, // You’re the kind of man who makes me sad, // While she waits up, // You chase down the newest thing, // And take for granted what you have.”

Least Favorite Line: “And it would be a fine proposition, // If I was a stupid girl”

114.) “Perfectly Good Heart”—Taylor Swift

“Perfectly Good Heart” is perfectly fine, but just isn’t up to competition. Coming from her debut album, this song isn’t the full embodiment of what Taylor Swift became as her career progressed, so because of that, I can’t rank it as highly as some of the other songs. 

Favorite Line: “Maybe I should’ve seen the signs, should’ve read the writing on the wall // And realized by the distance in your eyes that I would be the one to fall”

Least Favorite Line: “It’s not unbroken anymore. // How do I get it back the way it was before?”

113.) “A Place in This World”—Taylor Swift

This song is also fine. There is really not much else to say about it. It is still a better song than most others, however, for Taylor, it is clear that this had a place on her first album, when she was…well…still trying to find her place in the world. 

Favorite Line: “Feeling lucky today, got the sunshine // Could you tell me what more do I need // And tomorrow’s just a mystery, oh yeah // But that’s ok”

Least Favorite Line: “Even though I’m not the only one // Who feels the way I do // I’m alone, on my own, and that’s all I know”

112.) “Breathe”—Fearless

“Breathe” is a great song, but again, it doesn’t hit the same chord that Taylor’s other songs do. This one is mildly forgettable, since it is merely just okay. There isn’t much more to say about it. 

Favorite Line: “People are people, and sometimes it doesn’t work out. // Nothing we say is gonna save us from the fallout.”

Least Favorite Line: “’Cause it’s tragedy and it’ll only bring you down. // Now I don’t know what to be without you around.”

111.) “Style”—1989

I know, this one is a popular song, but I have just genuinely never enjoyed it. This is a most of the time skip for me when I listen to 1989, and it is on my least favorite album. There was really no way for this song to rank better, but I do partially blame it being overplayed on the radio for the past five years.

Favorite Line: “You come and pick me up, no headlights // Long drive, // Could end in burning flames or paradise”

Least Favorite Line: “You got that long hair, slicked back, white t-shirt // And I got that good girl faith and a tight little skirt // And when we go crashing down, we come back every time // ‘Cause we never go out of style”

110.) “Bad Blood”—1989

Speaking of a song that is overplayed, “Bad Blood” certainly falls victim to the radio’s wrongdoings. I also think the video for this song was way over-hyped, but that’s a whole other conversation. 

Favorite Line: “Did you have to hit me, where I’m weak? Baby, I couldn’t breathe // And rub it in so deep, salt in the wound like you’re laughing right at me”

Least Favorite Line: “You know it used to be mad love // So take a look what you’ve done”

109.) “London Boy”—Lover

This song has the worst opening I could possibly imagine. It just really irks me. If the opening to this song wasn’t there, I’d be much happier, and would certainly have ranked this song much higher. When all of your songs are top notch like Taylor’s, it comes down to minor choices when trying to rank them. 

Favorite Line: “Doesn’t have to be Louis V up on Bond Street // Just wanna be with you // Wanna be with you”

Least Favorite Line: “We can go driving in, on my scooter // Uh, you know, just round London // Alright, yeah”

108.) “I Knew You Were Trouble”—RED

Another victim to being overplayed, this song is less overplayed than “Bad Blood,” so it falls a little higher on my rankings. The sound of this song is just really not my cup of tea—specifically when Swift sings the title of the song. HOWEVER, the live performance from the 1989 world tour? Total banger and saving grace for “I Knew You Were Trouble.”

Favorite Line: “And the saddest fear comes creeping in // That you never loved me or her, or anyone, or anything, yeah” (*cue a Taylor High Note Hit stance*)

Least Favorite Line: “He was long gone when he met me // And I realize the joke is on me, yeah! // I knew you were trouble when you walked in // So shame on me now // Flew me to places I’d never been // ‘Til you put me down, oh”

107.) “End Game”—reputation

For me, I find many issues in collaborations. I think they are wildly difficult to do, and while I like Taylor and Ed together, this just wasn’t it. The lyrics just seem a little off from the music and something doesn’t quite work. I appreciate the complexities of their lyrics in this song though, since I think they deserve some recognition. 

Favorite Line: “And I can’t let you go // hand prints on my soul”

Least Favorite Line: “We do the most, I’m in the Ghost like I’m whippin’ a boat”

106.) “Blank Space”—1989

Oh, “Blank Space.” If only they hadn’t overplayed you. This song is great, and the music video is also fantastic. I appreciate that Taylor took this chance to say “Say whatever you want about me, even if it’s that I’m crazy.” Unfortunately, no one listened so she decided to show this song up with our lord and savior reputation. Actually…now that I think about it…it wasn’t really too unfortunate, since reputation is one of her best albums. 

Favorite Line: “Cherry lips, crystal skies // I could show you incredible things // Stolen kisses, pretty lies // You’re the King, baby, I’m your Queen”

105.) “Afterglow”—Lover

The title of this song is really something. It’s wonderful. Also, just because these songs are ranked so low does not in any way mean they are bad songs, I just want to clarify that moving forward. “Afterglow” is pretty. It’s cute. I think it’s great to take ownership for messing something up or causing a problem. The high pitch just doesn’t sit well for me, and for that, it falls here at number 105.

Favorite Line: “It’s so excruciating to see you low // Just wanna lift you up and not let you go // This ultraviolet morning light below // Tells me this love is worth the fight, oh” 

104.) “You Belong With Me”—Fearless

I know, I know. How could I? Rank a classic so low? OKAY WELL, yeah I did, but again it’s not because “You Belong With Me” isn’t a classic. The reason why it is so low is because as much as the general public loved this song, it is far inferior to many of Taylor’s other songs. It is cute and I love it, but this song has become much more nostalgic-love than listen-to-it-all-the-time-love. 

Favorite Line: “Oh, I remember you driving to my house // In the middle of the night. // I’m the one who makes you laugh // When you know you’re ’bout to cry. // I know your favorite songs, // And you tell me about your dreams. // Think I know where you belong, // Think I know it’s with me.

Least Favorite Line: “But she wears short skirts // I wear T-shirts // She’s cheer captain // And I’m on the bleachers”

103.) “Untouchable”—Fearless

“Untouchable” is an okay song by Taylor standards, but I think it is safe to say that this song just isn’t as good as one of her many other songs. This song feels nostalgic, but other than that, it can’t compare to some of Swift’s later works. 

Favorite Line: “Untouchable, burning brighter than the sun // And when you’re close I feel like coming undone”

Least Favorite Line: “It’s half full, and I won’t wait here all day // I know you’re saying that you’d be here anyway”

102.) “Treacherous”—RED

As much as I love RED, there are a few songs that are occasional skips. Whether it is because they are sad or overplayed, this album really had a lot of songs that are just not great for everyday listening. For me, “Treacherous,” as good as it is, is one of those songs. I have nothing against it, I just am not always in the mood to listen to it. 

Favorite Line: “Put your lips close to mine, As long as they don’t touch, Out of focus, eye to eye, Till the gravity’s too much”

101.) “Tell Me Why”—Fearless

“Tell Me Why” is an interesting song, and I think it has really strong lyrics. Honestly, I do really like this song, just again, not one that I often think of when I want to listen to Taylor. While I probably wouldn’t skip this song the first time through, if I’m listening to Fearless over and over again, this song will eventually be skipped for a few rotations before I’ll listen to it again. 

Favorite Line: “I took a chance, I took a shot // And you might think I’m bulletproof, but I’m not // You took a swing, I took it hard // And down here from the ground I see who you are”

Tune in again soon for the next article in this series: Songs 100-91!

Talia is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Emerson. Talia is also a Chapter Advisor, Region Leader, and HSA Advisor. She has previously worked as an intern for the national headquarters of Her Campus in the community management department. Talia is a Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College in a 4+1 combined bachelor's and master's program in publishing. She is an aspiring writer and publisher. Talia is known for living life with her journal, a pen, and three lovely cats.