A Definitive Ranking of Taylor Swift’s 117 Song Discography: Songs 90-81

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

If you have been following my writing over the past four years, you know that I have done album reviews (reputation, Lover) and album rankings, but taking on Taylor’s 117 song discography is something that I’ve wanted to do for a long time. So here it goes, every Taylor Swift song ranked (from her 7 studio albums), from my least favorite to my favorite and the reasons to match. Some of the factors taken into consideration were overall sound, lyrical complexity, placement on albums, amount of times skipped, musical composition, and tone. Since this list is clearly extensive, I’ve taken the time to split it up into multiple different articles linked below so you are not scrolling forever. 

Songs 117-101

Songs 100-91

90.) “Stay Beautiful”—Taylor Swift

This song is so cute and captures the feeling of having a crush perfectly. While this song makes me feel so nostalgic, I have to admit and accept the fact that it just isn’t up to par with the rest of Taylor’s songs. However, you’ll still hear me jamming out to this song whenever I have the chance. 

Favorite Line: “If you and I are a story // That never gets told // If what you are is a daydream // I’ll never get to hold”

89.) “Sad, Beautiful, Tragic”—RED

This song is a skip for me because of the energy level. Lyrically, I think it is beautiful, but otherwise this song feels like there is something missing. It definitely has lyrical weight that helps it out though in the rankings, just not as much as some of the other songs that Taylor has. 

Favorite Line: “Long handwritten note deep in your pocket // Words, how little they mean when you’re a little too late”

88.) “ME!”—Lover

“ME!” is a bop among the ranks of “Shake it Off” and “We Are Never Getting Back Together,” however, this song feels young. When I first listened to it, I was SO surprised, since it wasn’t what I was expecting to hear after reputation. This single made me nervous for the album, but thankfully, the rest (well, most of the rest) of the album pulled through on a more mature level than “ME!” Thankfully, the worst part of the song was removed on the album, so I can listen without cringing at her yelling “Spelling is Fun!” 

Favorite Line: “And when we had that fight out in the rain // You ran after me and called my name // I never wanna see you walk away”

Least Favorite Line: “Hey, kids // Spelling is fun”

87.) “Cornelia Street”—Lover

I love this song and I think it is so pretty and meaningful, but if there is one thing I really don’t like, it’s the amount of time “Cornelia Street” is said. I feel like there are a lot of lines where the words seem forced, and overall a lot of moments feel repetitive. It is one thing to use the word over and over again in the chorus, but to have it repeated in the chorus multiple times and then in other sections of the song just felt a little heavy handed. 

Favorite Line: “We were a fresh page on the desk // Filling in the blanks as we go // As if the street lights pointed in an arrow head //Leading us home” 

86.) “Gorgeous”—reputation

This song is cute, but it isn’t to the technical level as most of Taylor’s other songs. If there is one thing I love though, is that Ryan Renolds’s daughter was featured on it saying the word “Gorgeous.” It’s adorable and works really well in this case since the song is also meant to be emotional. This song embraces the idea of puppy love and being nervous around someone you think is cute, which in its essence is CUTE. *ding*!

Favorite Line: “You make me so happy // it turns back to sad // there’s nothing I hate // more than what I can’t have // you are so gorgeous // it makes me so mad”

85.) “This Love”—1989

Again, this is not a bad song or album, but it is still just not my favorite. I think that this album has a lot of skips and, unfortunately, this is one of them on most listens. 

Favorite Line: “Clear blue water, high tide came and brought you in // And I could go on and on, on and on, and I will // Skies grew darker, currents swept you out again // And you were just gone and gone, gone and gone”

84.) “Dancing With Our Hands Tied”—reputation

Something about this song is mystical, but you don’t really ever know what is happening, and it makes you feel a little trapped…maybe…like you are dancing with your hands tied? I think this song is interesting, and I’m SO happy it was played during the reputation stadium tour the night I was able to attend! 

Favorite Line: “I, I loved you in spite of // Deep fears that the world would divide us // So, baby, can we dance // Oh, through an avalanche? // And say, say that we got it // I’m a mess, but I’m the mess that you wanted // Oh, ’cause it’s gravity // Oh, keeping you with me”

83.) “Innocent”—Speak Now

This song is interesting and I love it as a stand alone song, but when comparing it to the rest of Taylor’s discography, it is hard to compare this to some of her other works. Some of the lyrics are a little weird, but in the end, they still tell a story better than most other artists in my opinion. 

Favorite Line: “Wasn’t it beautiful when you believed in everything // And everybody believed in you?”

82.) “Invisible”—Taylor Swift

“Invisible” is a really cute song that I have actually loved for a really long time. This is one of those songs that even though it is really cute, it isn’t one that you listen to all the time. I can’t really explain much of why I feel the way I do about this song, since it used to be one of my favorites, but since more and more albums have come out, it has been moving further and further down my list. 

Favorite Line: “And you just see right through me, // But if you only knew me, // We could be a beautiful // Miracle, // Unbelievable // Instead of just invisible.”

81.) “Shake it Off”—1989

A classic and one of Taylor’s most notable “Bops.” This song is fun, has good energy and a good message. It does fall into the same category as some of Taylor’s other singles in being overplayed via the radio. Taylor also plays this song a lot in her live performances as well. In the end, this song has an important message, I just wish it wasn’t played every hour on every station. 

Favorite Line: “But I keep cruising // Can’t stop, won’t stop moving // It’s like I got this music // In my mind // Saying, ‘It’s gonna be alright.’”

Tune in again soon for the next article in this series: Songs 80-71!

Talia is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Emerson. Talia is also a Chapter Advisor, Region Leader, and HSA Advisor. She has previously worked as an intern for the national headquarters of Her Campus in the community management department. Talia is a Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College in a 4+1 combined bachelor's and master's program in publishing. She is an aspiring writer and publisher. Talia is known for living life with her journal, a pen, and three lovely cats.