My Review of Taylor Swift’s New Album: Reputation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

I know!!! Wow!! What is this???? An article written by me that’s not about ‘Grey’s Anatomy’??? I know, I know scary, right?? But I’ll let you know I just had to break this pattern this week for one special reason.  Taylor Swift is back from the dead.  Well, “dead.” As you all know, I wrote articles in the past about Taylor (shameless plug–check it out here).  SO, as you know, we have OFFICIALLY entered the Reputation Era as of last Friday.  Yeah, it has only been a week and already, our hearts have been smashed into a million pieces and put back together again countless times by this album.  Taylor dropped off the face of the earth for a while, but now, she has risen from the dead and lord I think she killed me in the process.  So now, because I know you all care so much about my personal commentary, please enjoy my reactions to Taylor Swift’s entire album: REPUTATION (In order, because I can’t pick a favorite–well…..no…no wait…I’ll get to that soon).

*images don’t necessarily correspond with the song*

1.) …Ready For It?

No Taylor, I was most definitely not ready for it.  But also we need to talk about this placement on the album.  Because THERE IS NO BETTER SONG TO START WITH.  This woman is a mastermind and I love her.  

Fav Line: “Every love I’ve known in comparison // is a failure // I forget their names now // I’m so very tame now // Never be the same now, now”

2.) End Game

TAYLOR YOU AND ED ARE FRIENDSHIP GOALS.  I love y’all so much and he better be there to perform on tour with you or I will be very sad (also on that note I better be at this show because I need this all live–all of it–live–I’m sitting here crying tears of joy just thinking about it).  

Fav Line: “And I can’t let you go // hand prints on my soul”

Honorable Mention: (the chorus) “I wanna be your end game // I wanna be your first string // I wanna be your A team // I wanna be your end game // End game”

3.) I Did Something Bad

TAYYYYYYYYYYY!!! Honestly THESE LYRICS ARE KILLER.  I am honestly speechless on this one.  A front-runner for my fav for sure.  If you haven’t listened.  Stop reading.  Go right now.  Now.  Go.  I’m serious.  I can’t continue until you have heard this masterpiece of a song.

Fav Line: The entire song I can’t pick one fragment it is just the whole thing I am sorry (no I’m not).

4.) Don’t Blame Me

Again.  I can’t speak.  Tay look what you have done to me??? I am a writer who has no words to write because this is not just perfection it is something more than that somehow.  

Fav Line: “And baby for you, I would Fall from grace // Just to touch your face // If you walk away // I’d beg you on my knees to… stay”

Honorable Mention: (the chorus) “Don’t blame me  //  Love made me crazy // If it doesn’t, you ain’t doin’ it right // Lord save me, my drug is my baby // I’ll be using for the rest of my life”

5.) Delicate

Okay.  I need to take a second before commenting on this song, to have you re-read the titles of tract numbers 3, 4, and 5.  COME ON TAY THIS LINEUP IS AMAZING. Okay, okay. So, this song is everything and if you don’t agree we probably won’t get along.  It’s just precious and ugh my heart.

Fav Line: “This ain’t for the best // my reputations never been worse so // you must like me for me”

6.) Look What You Made Me Do

YAASSS TAY YAAASS.  THIS. SONG. IS. MY. JAM. Another front-runner for my fav because let’s be real everyone–this song is BADASS.  I’m SO happy Tay is finally confronting all the crap that gets thrown at her for no reason. TAYLOR SWEETIE YOU ARE DOING AMAZING. I vibe with this song so hard it is embedded on my soul at this point and I have definitely dreamt about singing this to QUITE a few people I know.  

Fav Line: All of it.  I can’t choose.  No.  You can’t make me choose this is my article and I refuse unless you want to read the lyrics for the entire song I suggest you stop pushing the subject.

7.) So It Goes…

While I wouldn’t say “So It Goes…” is a front runner for my fav, this song still slays.  You’ll definitely catch me blasting it with the windows down so the entire world can hear it (but, y’no…when it isn’t 20 degrees out and winter is over). The love that is put into this album for her boyfriend is so clear and it makes my heart swell so much.  Honestly, Taylor is happy and is there anything better than that??

Fav Line: “You did a number on me // But, honestly, baby // who’s counting? // I did a number on you // But, honestly, baby // who’s counting? // You did a number on me // But, honestly, baby // who’s counting? // who’s counting? // ……1, 2, 3…”

8.) Gorgeous

LITTLE JAMES REYNOLDS AT THE BEGINNING OF THIS SONG IS PRECIOUS AND UGHHH MY HEART.  This song takes the love I was talking about previously, and amplifies it times a billion.  Like honestly, her feelings are so strong and “New” Tay isn’t afraid to take what she wants.  I am HERE for this.

Fav Line: “You make me so happy // it turns back to sad // there’s nothing I hate // more than what I can’t have // you are so gorgeous // it makes me so mad”

Honorable mentions:  

“You’ve ruined my life // by not being mine *ding*” (because the ding makes this line exceptional)

“Guess I’ll just stumble on home // to my cats…alone // unless you want to come along” (MEREDITH–oh look she’s names after Meredith Grey so I did bring Greys into this after all–AND OLIVIA ARE PRECIOUS LITTLE BEINGS AND I LOVE THEM SO YEAH I LOVE THIS LINE BECAUSE TAYLOR IS SO COOL THAT SHE CAN ACTUALLY SAY THIS AND IT’S FINE)

“Ocean blue eyes // Lookin’ in mine // I feel like I might // sink and drown and die”

9.) Getaway Car

I. HAVE. NO. WORDS. FOR. THIS. MASTERPIECE. Definitely a front-runner FOR SURE.  This is a BOP as well as being linguistically beautiful and technical and everything anyone needs in life please stop reading again and go listen to this song RIGHT NOW or I will never forgive you.  I’ll wait.

Fav Line: YEAH! You guessed it.  It’s the whole song.  Are you surprised?  You shouldn’t be.  Go listen to it again.  

10.) King of My Heart

This song is a literal bop and I am HERE FOR IT.  This song is my soul and I need it to be part of the soundtrack of my life.  So, I think that sums up my feelings on this one (catch me daydreaming while I listen to this song in the near future).

Fav Line: “Is the end of all the endings? // My broken bones are mending // With all these nights we’re spending // Up on the roof with a school girl crush // Drinking beer out of plastic cups // Say you fancy me, not fancy stuff // Baby, all at once, this is enough

11.) Dancing with Our Hands Tied

This song, oh my gosh, I can’t.  I love this song so much and honestly if you disagree are you actually human??? This song makes me smile and also its just a bop (as are many of these songs if you hadn’t noticed).  

Fav Line: “I, I loved you in spite of // Deep fears that the world would divide us // So, baby, can we dance // Oh, through an avalanche? // And say, say that we got it // I’m a mess, but I’m the mess that you wanted // Oh, ’cause it’s gravity // Oh, keeping you with me”

12.) Dress

FIRST THINGS FIRST, THIS SONG IS NOT ABOUT ED MY LORD PLEASE STOP WITH THIS BLASPHEMY. Now that we have clarified that this is not about Ed, let us move on.  This song is literally linguistically beautiful and like if you don’t think so like bye.  Also, like hi, this is a lot of feeling to put into a song so like let the woman live and enjoy life and no talk crap about it okay???? I’m serious.  Do we have an agreement?  Okay good.  

Fav Line: “Inescapable // I’m not even going to try // And if I get burned, at least we were electrified”

13.) This Is Why We Can’t Have Nice Things

TIWWCHNT IS MY LIFE I WOULD DIE FOR IT.  EVERY TIME I LISTEN TO THIS SONG I AM CONVINCED IT IS MY FAVORITE (but as you know, I have this reaction to like half the songs on this album so….maybe not?? IDK Life is a mystery sometimes).  You already know what is coming–go.  Go listen.  You need to experience this magic.  I promise I’m not trying to mind twist you (if you didn’t get that that means you didn’t listen so HA.)

Fav Line: Yeah.  Seriously?  I just said this is one of my favorite songs and you expected one of these?  No.  It’s the whole freakin’ song.  It is beautiful and amazing go listen to it.  Like now.  Go.  

14.) Call It What You Want

MY HEART.  Taylor honey I love you you’re doing amazing.  This song is just so pure.  Honestly I’m dying because my heart is so full.

Fav Line: “All my flowers grew back as thorns // Windows boarded up after the storm // He built a fire just to keep me warm // All the drama queens taking swings // All the jokers dressing up as kings // They fade to nothing when I look at him // And I know I make the same mistakes every time // Bridges burn, I never learn // At least I did one thing right

15.) New Year’s Day

THE PLACEMENT OF THESE SONGS.  WHY IS THIS WOMAN SO GOOD AT THIS.  I love this because it feels like a new start, and it’s beautiful and amazing and I’m honestly in love with this song. I’m pretty sure this is the most pure song I’ve ever heard and you can literally FEEL her love.

Fav Line: “Please don’t ever become a stranger // Whose laugh I could recognize anywhere”

Honorable Mentions:

“You squeeze my hand three times in the back of the taxi // I can tell that it’s gonna be a long road // I’ll be there if you’re the toast of the town, babe // Or if you strike out and you’re crawling home”

“Don’t read the last page // But I stay when it’s hard, or it’s wrong // Or we’re making mistakes // I want your midnights // But I’ll be cleaning up bottles with you on New Year’s Day”

“Hold on to the memories, they will hold on to you // Hold on to the memories, they will hold on to you // Hold on to the memories, they will hold on to you // And I will hold on to you”

Make sure to go buy Taylor Swift’s: Reputation so you can also become as obsessed with it as I am!!! :) <3

Talia is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Emerson. Talia is also a Chapter Advisor, Region Leader, and HSA Advisor. She has previously worked as an intern for the national headquarters of Her Campus in the community management department. Talia is a Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College in a 4+1 combined bachelor's and master's program in publishing. She is an aspiring writer and publisher. Talia is known for living life with her journal, a pen, and three lovely cats.