‘January Blues’: More Than Just A Good Instagram Caption

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

Is it just me or is winter hitting particularly hard this year? Coming from a sub-tropical climate, the English winter was a particularly strong shock to my system; as the days got shorter I felt myself becoming more moody and lethargic. Upon research, I found that my low mood may been the result of more than just a case of the winter blues. Seasonal affective disorder, aptly termed SAD, is a seasonal depression that commonly appears in the winter and disappears with the arrival of spring. The disorder is common in those living in the northern hemisphere, and seems to disproportionately affect women. Symptoms include feeling lethargic, needing more sleep than usual, over eating, feelings of sadness, and being disinterested in everyday activities, all of which can disrupt day to day routine and make life even harder.

The exact reasons for SAD aren’t fully understood but lack of sunlight is commonly thought to be the main cause of this disorder. The body uses sunlight to regulate the hypothalamus, thus when the days get shorter, problems with the production of melatonin and serotonin, and the circadian rhythm occur.

Common treatment methods are to maximise exposure to sunlight, or faking it with the use of light boxes. Resisting the urge to stay in bed all day and trying to stick to routine can also help.  If these methods do not seem to alleviate your symptoms, it is important to realise that you do not have to struggle through this alone. You could consider seeing your GP. In more severe cases, antidepressants may be prescribed.

And remember, spring is right around the corner.

For more information visit: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/seasonal-affective-disorder-sad/