Grey’s Running Club Captain: Catherine O’Connor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

With the turn of the new year and most of us vowing to rid those festive pounds or perhaps more accurately feel a slight guilt before resigning ourselves to that insulating blubber, we’ve got in touch with one of Grey’s Running Club Captain’s, Catherine O’Connor.

Managing the club, in accordance with India George is no small undertaking, as the pair have to plan routes – appropriate for all abilities in which the club welcomes, lead runs and encourage new members. Club promotion is proving a success given its hearty following whilst only being in its second year of existence.

As well as all of this, Catherine is also a prominent member of the DU athletics and Cross Country Club – with whom she trains four times a week. If that’s not enough, she also races with Durham City Harriers Athletics Club. This unwavered commitment along with the Lanzarote boot camp with the uni team in April will hopefully propel Catherine to great success in her upcoming marathon.

Apparently Catherine is able to maintain her running club captaincy whilst juggling all these commitments in conjunction with her music degree ‘because luckily there is no DU training on Fridays’ (!) Fortunately, this affords the sporting prowess a chance to don some cocktails in Whiskey River before heading to Fabio’s and Loveshack – her favoured hotspots in Durham.

Whilst Catherine professes the necessity of practical and high performance sports gear – confessing to spend around £200 on running shoes a year, she also understands the need to look stylish and feel confident when you’re working out. She loves to whack out bright reflective patterns, particularly for those dark early mornings and late night sessions. Proving that fashion comes first (with safety just before) and evidencing that running can be your most prized runway.

The avid runner is also a keen explorer and loves to bumble through the countryside on summer runs, when not restricted to well-lit paths. Desiring to travel the world, Catherine’s ideal running partner would join her on running holidays and share her passion and motivation for the sport.

But don’t worry team, Catherine knows how best to recuperate from her demanding schedule, as she loves nothing more than to wade into a nice hot bath with her favourite BodyShop goodies (this sounds like one part of her life we may just be able to emulate!)As a tea love she also likes to snuggle up with a mug. But all of this is after refuelling with a protein shake – ensuring is fully equipped to take the leg burn and perform her fave dance move the ‘drop it low’.

We wish Catherine all the best with her up and coming training, particularly the Manchester marathon!

She assures us that the Grey Running Club is a lovely environment full of an assimilation of runners – complete beginners through to marathon machines like herself, so if you’re looking to take up something new, maybe have a nosey, or set up something similar in your own college!    

Steph Ryan
I am currently in my final year of studying English Literature at Durham University, England. I am hoping to become a journalist in the future, but in the mean time, I enjoy cheerleading, fashion and travelling, and of course, being the editor of Durham's Her Campus!