This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

All hail the kale …& my personal fave spinach!

As a pescatarian these superfoods are my go-to to ensure I’m getting enough iron! Getting iron is especially important when you’re on your period as our body’s iron levels decrease due to menstruation, making us feel sluggish or light-headed. Alternatively if you’re a meat eater you can get iron from red meat or if you are a kale and spinach hater then try adding lentils, beans and broccoli to your diet. Why is iron so impotant? Long story short we all need iron for many functions, including moving oxygen around the body which basically keeps us alive haha.

Coconut crazy

Stock up on coconut oil, it’s the most multipurpose product I’ve ever bought! Need to fry something? Whip out the coconut oil. Got dry skin? Rub on some coconut oil. Ran out of makeup remover? Use your coconut oil. Hair feeling dry? Mask it with coconut oil. The list could go on and on but I will save you from it all and just tell you why coconut oil is AMAZING! Coconut oil can boost your immunity, increase your metabolism aiding weight loss, prevent wrinkles, improve bone strength and dental health, prevent high blood pressure and cholesterol levels, and finally can provide relief and help eliminate candida.

Avocados

A naturally nutrient dense food, containing nearly 20 vitamins and minerals no wonder avo’s get so much hype now a days and I’m going to keep this going! Eating avocados can benefit your moods, definitely a food to have during those pre-period moody phases when your hormones are all over the place as they can provide a better hormonal balance! Another fab function for avo’s is there use as a facemask, they will leave your skin feeling smooth, soft and glowing!

Cranberry Juice

The best assistance in curing a water infection! Cranberry juice contains compounds that can help prevent bacteria from binding to the cells on the walls of the bladder aiding in flushing the toxins from your system. It’s also great for a hangover to rehydrate your body and give you a bit of a natural energy boost!

Bananas

High in potassium and vitamin B6, bananas ease bloating and help your muscles relax (including your uterus so they’re great for cramps!). Getting enough potassium also helps to regulate blood pressure and send oxygen to your brain – all useful in keeping your mood in check too! Fed up of eating bananas alone, try them with honey, peanut butter or Nutella, in a smoothie or on toast!

Fatty fish

Get your omega-3 fix from fatty fish like salmon and tuna. Omega-3 fatty acids aren’t just good for your heart, but have also been shown to help ease muscle tension and reduce during your period. This easing of muscle tension can also be beneficial when you’re stressed and help you relax more, including your brain before exams! Omega 3 is known for helping improve concentration levels, perfect for when you’re tired and can’t hack that late night reading. Other alternative sources of omega-3 include walnuts and chia seeds.

Dark chocolate

Dark chocolate is high in antioxidants and magnesium to help ease cramps and mood swings. It also stimulates the production of endorphins, otherwise known as “happy hormones” that keep you calm and cheery. Just remember: the darker the better! Craving chocolate go for darker it’s the healthier version and will leave you feeling less guilty if you’re feeling a pre-period binge! 

Theology & Religion Student with a passion for writing!