absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Delicious Ways To Eat Your Avocado

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

Now it’s no secret that I’m an avid fan of avocado, just ask my friends, family or housemates and they will tell you. I have been known to hunt through an entire tray of the little green gems at a supermarket to find the perfect specimen, and lovingly watch over the ripening process at home like a broody mother hen with an egg. Personally, I will eat an avocado in almost any way and with almost anything, but that being said, here are ten great ideas and recipes to help you get the most out of the glorious creamy devils.

1.     Make a creamy dip

This first idea is very easy: simply mash up some avocado until it is creamy but still kinda chunky, and add any flavourings you may desire (some suggestions are lemon and black pepper or perhaps a bit of chilli). This makes a great dip for anything from crisps to vegetable sticks. I am a big fan of this method, as nothing makes your Pringles feel quite as fancy as when you are dipping them in avocado.

2.     Mash it onto some toast

Yes, avocado on toast is everywhere right now, from pictures of it clogging up your Instagram feed to Nigella Lawson including a recipe for it on her latest TV show, but there is a reason for this: it is delicious. For best results just do the same as for the dip, but slap it on some toast with any other toppings your heart may desire.

3.     Velvety pasta sauce

A nice, creamy pasta sauce can be the absolute best, and what better way to get that buttery texture than with avocado. Here is a great avocado macaroni and cheese recipe, which I might try myself when summatives get too much.

4.     Chocolate cake

This is where I might begin to go a bit avocado-rogue, but stick with me. You can make a dairy-free, squidgy, fudgy chocolate cake using avocado – who knew?! Now whilst this cake makes no claims to being actually ‘healthy’ you can still feel like a pillar of health, safe in the knowledge that something green went into the mixture. The recipe can be found here.

5.     Use as a butter replacement

This is a good idea for anyone who can’t eat dairy, or maybe you just don’t like butter, but still want some moisture in your sandwich. Just smush it till it’s smooth and spread away.

6.     Smoothie

Smoothies are a great breakfast or snack option, and what better way to spice one up than to add some avocado – obviously. An amazing smoothie recipe can be found here

7.     Avocado fries!!!!!!!!

When I found this recipe, I literally said ‘hold the phone’ out loud. This changes everything. I love fries and I love avocado, and I’m honestly so excited and intrigued. This simple recipe calls for strips of avocado, lovingly doused in spicy flour and breadcrumbs, then baked to perfection. I’m honestly salivating at the thought of these.

8.     Breakfast burrito

Breakfast and burritos can be a match made in heaven, and avocado can only make it better. Not only does the alliteration make them alluring, but the prospect of being able to roll it up and eat it on the go also appeals for those days when you might be having to eat and multitask. Some recipes may be a little involved for the rush before a 9am, but here are few for some inspiration.

http://addapinch.com/cooking/egg-and-avocado-breakfast-burrito/

http://www.californiaavocado.com/recipe-details/view/31596/california-avocado-breakfast-burrito

9.     Chocolate and Peanut Butter muffins

Like the chocolate cake mentioned earlier, these muffins  have a sneaky avocado element to them. This super easy and quick recipe and they look like delightfully moist little chocolate nuggets. Also, my two great loves, avocado and peanut butter, are together at last! Rejoice!

10.     Avocado Hummus

Like the great combination of avocado and peanut butter in the previous recipe, this one also combines two greats: avocado and hummus. Whilst homemade hummus is a great thing (recipe here), a much quicker and easier route is to just mash some avocado into some shop-bought hummus. You may not feel like you have your life quite as together as if you make the hummus yourself, but it will be just as delicious.

Third year English student at Durham University.
I am currently in my final year of studying English Literature at Durham University, England. I am hoping to become a journalist in the future, but in the mean time, I enjoy cheerleading, fashion and travelling, and of course, being the editor of Durham's Her Campus!