This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Being sick at school can put you behind on your schoolwork, social life, and extra curricular activities. Here are 10 tips to staying healthy this semester and making it the best spring of 2015 that you could ever ask for!

1.     SLEEP: Go to bed thirty minutes earlier than you usually do. Sleep is a time for your body and your brain to rest. Without the proper amount of sleep you are not going to be able to perform your best the next day. *Keep in mind sleep cycles. A sleep cycle last ninety minutes so if you go to bed at eleven one night and wake up at eight the next morning, to get ready for your 9:10, then you will be wide awake because you will have completed 6 COMPLETE sleep cycles.

2.     WAKE UP: By going to bed thirty minutes earlier you should be able to wake up thirty minutes earlier. This will prevent you from rushing to get ready for your day and give you a little extra time to sit and have a cup of coffee!

3.     BREAKFAST: Eat Breakfast! Many people say, “Oh I am not a breakfast person” but those people are only hurting their own metabolisms. I am not saying that you have to have a huge breakfast but be sure to have something that will give you energy for your morning. *One breakfast suggestion I have is peanut butter and strawberry jelly on an English muffin with sliced banana on top. This keeps you full for the rest of your day!

4.     DRINK WATER: The human brain is made up of roughly 75% of water. Being dehydrated makes it harder for your brain to focus in class or even when you are just talking to friends. So start drinking! *Water of course J

5.     MULTIVITAMINS: If you are not taking a multivitamin then look into it. I just take the Women’s Vitafusion complete MultiVitamins. There are plenty of other multivitamins that will supply you with daily nutrients that you might miss in your everyday vitamin.

6.     EAT SMART: I like to say eat smart because yes being healthy is extremely important but at the same time we are college students and being extremely healthy all of the time can be hard. *Be sure to have a protein, carbohydrate, and fruit or vegetable at every meal. This will keep you energized!

7.     EXERCISE: Here at DePauw we have a very active campus. Everyone is involved in at least two or three groups/organizations and constantly running from place to place. But I encourage you to take time to go to the gym or take a workout class. *Try to get at LEAST 20 minutes of exercise in each day. Exercise is extremely important to staying healthy.

8.     APPLE A DAY: We all know the saying, “an apple a day keeps the doctor away!” Try the apple a day challenge! Have an apple with your lunch or for a snack each day. They are a great carbohydrate and are SO GOOD FOR YOU! *Try slicing the apple up into really thin pieces. This tricks your brain into thinking you have eaten much more than you have!

9.     SOCIAL MEDIA: Find a health instagram to follow for inspiration! I follow “HERDAILYCRAVE” and “Lauren Gleisberg”. If these two don’t work for you search #health, #fitness, or #fitwomen and see what you find!

10.  SMILE MORE: Smiling has been proven to make you feel better. Try smiling a little more! Be happy!!

I hope that these tips help you to a healthy happy semester!