self-love
self-love
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media
Wellness

Yes, I’m Drinking Wine Every Night and That’s Okay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

It’s quarantine season and every day I find myself asking, is it 5 p.m. yet? If my parents were to read this, they’d probably be a bit concerned. While I don’t condone substance abuse, I’m here to tell you that it’s okay to cut yourself some slack during these unprecedented times. 

Quarantine itself isn’t so bad, but the constant news cycle emitting negative news contributes to my corona-induced stress. People are coping with the pandemic in their own ways. Some take solace in sleeping often, baking, or meditation, and I find that drinking a glass of wine to relax at night helps calm me down.

Wine with Galentine\'s Day cards flatlay
Uby Yanes

I’ve quarantined for approximately one month now, and I have to admit– I’ve consumed more alcohol than I normally would, and I’m not alone. Liquor store prices have surged since cities issued shelter in place orders. CNN reports, “alcoholic beverage sales shot up 55% in the third week of March compared to the same time a year ago.” 

I’m not the only one struggling to adapt to the era of social distancing. At the beginning of quarantine, I was hard on myself, self-criticizing every time I failed to cross something off my to-do list. Now, I’m embracing that yes, it takes me longer to get things done, and that’s okay.

You don’t need to be productive during quarantine. Social isolation is hard, especially for those whose mental health benefits from social interaction. It’s ok to take extra time for yourself and eat an extra serving, sleep in an extra hour, or drink that extra glass. 

Emily Veith

These are unprecedented times. It’s important to prioritize your mental and physical health. But, don’t be so hard on yourself if you can’t live up to your own standards. We are all doing our best. So, cheers to that, we’ll get through this together. 

napping cat
Photo by Kate Stone Matheson on Unsplash

Sonal Soni

DePaul '22

I am currently one the Her Campus CC's and a senior Journalism/Communications student at DePaul University. I've previously served as senior editor and social media coordinator during my three years at Her Campus. I'm also a podcast producer for The Radio DePaul Podcast and the Nation and World editor for The DePaulia. My dream job would be working as a reporter for NPR and traveling the world while writing.