books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

5 Ways To Treat Yourself When Midterms Are Over

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

You did it!  You’ve completed your third and final midterms session of the year! Regardless of the outcome, midterms are no small feat, so you deserve a break. Here are 5 ways to treat yourself after a strenuous week of midterms.  

1. Read a book…for fun!

I don’t know about you, but it’s been quite some time since I’ve read a book for fun.  For me, I cannot justify $20-30+ for a hardcover when I just spent $100+ on textbooks! It wasn’t until I found myself at a local thrift store and decided to browse the book section that I realized I could start my own library on a budget!  I picked up three novels at about $1.30 each and I cannot wait to get back into reading again!

2. Go to the hair salon

Everyone treats their hair differently and has their own routine for how often they get their hair cut, but if it’s been a while, treat yourself to a new ‘do!  Experts say you should get your hair trimmed anywhere from every six to twelve weeks. I know it’s been pretty long since my last trip to the salon, so I’m going to culminate my hectic week of studying with a refreshing haircut.  Try incorporating your haircut schedule in with your academic schedule, so that every six-ish weeks after a round of tests, you can treat yourself with a visit to your stylist!

3. Relax with your friends

You may want to celebrate being done with midterms by taking on the town with your friends, and while that is warranted, it might be a good idea to take it slow and relax from all of the stress you just endured. Try having a chill night-in–music, movies, face masks–whatever makes you feel the most renewed.  

4. Go outside

It’s finally starting to look like spring in Chicago, so take advantage of it while it lasts!  Go to the Lincoln Park Zoo, the gardens at the Art Institute, or simply lay out on the Quad! Basking in the sun is sure to relieve you of all of your post-midterms stress, so go enjoy the sun!

5. Enjoy your favorite meal

Let’s be real, you probably weren’t eating the best while pulling all-nighters and studying for your copious amounts of tests.  If your midterms-meals comprised of iced coffees and Stu-shi, you deserve a little TLC from a healthy meal. Try your hand at cooking for yourself and create one of your favorite meals from home.  If that’s not an option, treat yourself to a guilty pleasure from a local restaurant. Whatever meal resonates with your self-care regime, go for it.

You’ve put in a lot of hard work this week.  Now, take some time for yourself before finals!

Grace Jacques is a PR & Advertising Major at DePaul University.  When not writing for Her Campus, you can find her fundraising for Ann and Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital, marching in Grant Park, or enjoying The Frenchie at Cheesie's Pub and Grub.