This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi South chapter.

Picture this: the sun, a journal, a bubble bath and probably a cup of tea. You’ve seen this post one too many times. The ‘self-care’ post. I too was under the impression that the self-care everyone talks about entails a warm bath, some journaling and a cup of hot chocolate. Recently it came to my realisation that, one, self-care comprises different types and is an ongoing process. Two, everybody’s definition of self-care is different and three, its kind differs at different stages in one’s life.

As someone who struggles with anxiety and depression and is also majoring in a subject with a heavy workload, self-care is definitely a part of my life. Some days it’s just getting myself into the shower and some days it’s journaling and catching up with a friend over coffee. I try to do whatever I can, depending on how I feel that day. Making sure I do just one activity or even chore that I know qualifies as self-care, goes a long way. It reminds me that I need to take care of myself in a way nobody else can. Only I can fully understand what I need at that time (even if I don’t understand instantly) and what will help.

Global pandemics (not that they happen often, thankfully) affect everyone differently. The anxiety caused by being quarantined can cause some to be extremely productive and others to become the opposite. Regardless of how you react or feel about being at home, practising self-care at a time where there is chaos all around you can only help. Here are some forms of self-care that you can practise at home to hopefully feel slightly better.

Todd Kent

• The first is physical self-care. Unfortunately, those who gym regularly or go for dance/ Zumba classes cannot do so at a time like this. However, doing some light yoga for a few minutes or downloading a fitness app and following those simple workouts may help. You can also try doing 30-day challenges sit-ups, push-ups, squats, etc. It is an interesting way to challenge yourself and your body while also keeping yourself fit and safe.
  • Emotional self-care is slightly tricky. It involves checking in with yourself and addressing how you’re feeling rather than bottling up your emotions. At a time like this, it is important to identify how you feel and slowly pinpoint what you need to do, to feel better. This includes identifying unhealthy thinking patterns and triggers. Meditation, journaling or any kind of creative activity such as painting, cooking, or dancing can help you better process and express your emotions. When I’m stuck at home, creative activities help me the most. I try to look up DIYs on Pinterest or easy recipes or art projects that I can try. I also look for journal prompts and even try doing small things like rearranging the furniture in my room or putting up some art on my walls for a change. Small changes such as these can really make a big difference when you are stuck in your room for most of the day.
  • Intellectual self-care is about doing something that you enjoy but it is also about challenging your mind and expanding your knowledge. Some ideas include nurturing a new skill, researching an interesting theory or phenomenon, learning a new language, solving riddles or even watching a documentary. I like to watch Ted-Ed YouTube videos (which sometimes have a few videos on riddles too) and make a note of the concepts I’d like to know more about.    
  • Spiritual self-care doesn’t have to be associated with religion for everyone, although it may be for some. It can also include simple meditation or prayer, spending time with nature and even charity work or working for a cause close to your heart. It involves self-care for the soul which can mean extremely different things for different people. Unfortunately, we cannot step out at this time so researching on the different charities you would like to help in the future, is a good solution as well as helping those around you like your neighbours or the elderly and checking in on others you know are struggling may help you feel as though you have a sense of purpose in this trying time.

For those of you who are stressed out by the news and constant updates on the virus, try to unplug for some time and focus your energy elsewhere. You do not have to “make the best” of a global pandemic. Forgive yourself for you are only reacting to the situation. It is okay to feel scared, scattered and unfocused. Try not to compare your routine and productivity to others, as nobody is feeling the same way or has the same level of energy during this time. For those of you that rely on a set routine to reduce your anxiety, I would suggest having small set activities in the day. They could be as small as having a shower at 10 am, stretching for 15 minutes at 5 pm, and a small night routine before going to bed. I do a short skincare routine before bed and have some chamomile tea which helps me feel calmer and more centered.

Listen to your body and your mind, do what you need to do to feel better, be hopeful about the future and look out for those around you as well. And of course, don’t forget to wash your hands!

Riya Mehtani

Delhi South '21

Riya Mehtani is currently studying Psychology in Jesus and Mary College of Delhi University and aspires to become a clinical psychologist. She is passionate about working with animals and learning about wildlife. She enjoys writing and is also a trained jazz dancer.