This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Although my thoughts on New Year’s Resolutions have never been exceedingly positive, the end of 2022 consisted of some major self-reflection. As Winter evolved and time continued to feel so slow, I realized that I needed to make some positive changes in my life. I had forgotten what it felt like to truly live rather than simply going through the motions as they come. There were so many reasons to be happy and thankful to be alive, but I had lost sight of that. 

While I’ve struggled with anxiety and depression for the last five years, I know what trials come with those conditions and I know that they get much worse during these dark Winter days. I also know that when these issues get really bad, I have been able to find solace in exercise. This exercise can take many different forms such as yoga, dancing, or simple walks outside. Unfortunately, last year made me feel so stuck in my own head that I couldn’t even get myself to take a walk. After a long cycle of not exercising and feeling disappointed in myself for not wanting to, I made a deal with myself. 

My plan was to get active this year. Not because it was a New Year, but because I knew that a new beginning would encourage me to designate the time and effort that was needed. As for my exercise plan, I gave myself the space to grow within my own mind and body. 

My first goal was to find an escape and romanticize that escape. Before, I found that yoga and meditation don’t exactly distract me in the way that I’d wanted them to. So, calming exercise like yoga was reserved for relaxed days at home. For an escape from my own mind, I was hoping to find a healthy exercise that I could push myself to become better at each time I did it. To my own surprise, my escape is cardio. There are many different variations to which I enjoy cardio, which include full-on sprinting until I’m about to die from an asthma attack, cycling classes, and the infamous 15-3-30 trick. With the additional feminist funning playlist and a cute water bottle, my Hot Girl cardio session is perfectly set. With cardio, I enjoy the areas in which I can progress and learn more about my body. 

Another goal of mine was to try new things. Within the first month of this year, I’ve already taken a cycling class and have tried almost every focal point machine in our school gym. Even when the scary athletes are on them, I wait my turn and pretend to be the Hulk! 

Along with facing my fears of working out and going to the gym again, I’ve recognized some other helpful escapes from the dark thoughts that haunt my well-being. These include speed-reading contemporary romance novels at an outstanding rate and trying new recipes at home. I am quite proud of myself and the progress I’ve made so far. I’m excited to see where my fitness journey goes and am committed to seeing some changes in my mind and body. 

Enjoy this article? Follow us on Instagram @/hercampuscwu for updates on all future articles and posts!

Communication + Advertising Pisces