This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

When I first started going to the gym regularly, I was very intimidated. I felt like everyone was going to know that I was out of shape and not a gym regular. I was, and still am, surrounded by ego-driven individuals that think they own the entire gym. News flash: they definitely don’t.

At first, I avoided the weightlifters and the free weights at all costs. I had experience weightlifting in high school from when I played soccer but I had not lifted since then. I had a decent understanding of the right form and how much weight I should be using, but since I had not lifted in so long and my muscles were not as strong as they once were, I let fear take over. 

I spent the first month back at the gym sticking to cardio machines and doing ab routines in the corner of a studio. I tried to avoid people and stay in my own lane. Yet, my routine quickly grew boring and repetitive. I was in significantly better shape than I was a month ago, and I wanted to dive back into weight training. 

Alora Griffiths Unsplash

Initially, this terrified me. I didn’t think I belong in the same room as people lifting double my body weight while I couldn’t even lift the bar. But, everyone has to start somewhere. And I kept telling myself that. I belong in the weight room just as much as everyone else there, regardless of how much weight I am lifting or in shape I am. 

One of the biggest reasons I avoided the weight room was because I feared judgment. I didn’t want anyone to judge me on form, how much or little weight I was lifted, or simply because I was a girl. 

I was falling in love with the gym but I was missing out on something I really wanted to do. 

Each time before the gym (I still do this now), I map out the plan for the day. I am significantly more confident when I am walking in knowing what the goals are for the day. I tell myself that I belong there just as much as everyone else and that everyone needs to start somewhere. 

Scott Webb / Unsplash

I used to avoid new machines or exercises because I didn’t want to ask for help or look like I didn’t know what I was doing. I realized that this was completely normal. Obviously, I was not going to be good at something I have never tried. But, again, everyone has to start somewhere!

I used to be so worried about people watching and judging me, but people really do not care as much as I thought. Everyone is focused on their own workout and not what you are doing. 

This past year, I fell in love with the gym and working out. It took a while, but it is now my second home and no one there is going to stop me from doing the exercises that I want.

Isabella Silber

CU Boulder '22

Isabella is a senior at the University of Colorado Boulder. She is a Strategic Communication major with an emphasis in Public Relations and a Journalism minor. When she is not flipping through fashion magazines, she can be found obsessing over a pair of sneakers, running up the Flatirons, and reading in a nearby coffee shop.