This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Six months into the COVID-19 pandemic, life is still not “back to normal” and those quarantine binges may or may not have caught up to some of us by now. Going to the gym to burn off those calories is not as simple as it was before.

There are many safety precautions and guidelines that need to be followed in order to help prevent an increased spread of COVID-19.

While it isn’t impossible to get a workout in, there are a few things you should know about and expect from some popular Boulder gyms/studios to help you get your workout in while being safe.

Corepower Yoga

One of my personal favorites, Corepower Yoga, has reopened its studios but has a limited class schedule. They are requiring everyone to reserve their spot in each class through their app. 

CPY requires all members to wear a mask before, during, and after class while inside the studio. There are socially distanced mat markers on the floor where you can place your mat to ensure you are six feet apart.

Mat rentals are no longer available so you will have to bring in your own mat and props other than weights. For sculpt classes, weights can be provided and they are thoroughly disinfected between each use.

Corepower Yoga offers a black tag unlimited class membership for $89 for CU students.

Orange Theory Fitness

If the name Orangetheory Fitness rings a bell, it’s because this is a popular fitness studio in Boulder. So popular in fact, it has actually opened its second studio in the Boulder Table Mesa area soon.

This fitness studio combines rowing, cardio, and strength training to get a high intensity workout. Orangetheory uses OTbeat technology that comes in the form of a band monitor that measures your performance and heart rate in real time.

Orangetheory has changed its maximum capacity from 39 people per class to 15 people per class along with requiring everyone to wear a mask at all times. In addition, prior to each class, everyone that walks into the studio has their temperature taken and is asked if they have had any COVID-19 symptoms or have been in close contact with someone who has. While the class schedule is more limited, there is more cleaning in between classes and every machine is wiped down after each use.

For those who are still not comfortable with working out indoors, OTF is offering outdoor 8 a.m. and 9 a.m. classes (weather permitting) on the turf area near the Century Theater on the 29th St Mall, just a short walk from the studio. Members must reserve their spot in a class through the OTF app.

OTF offers a student discount of $10 off any membership plan. A premier membership is $159 for students which includes an unlimited amount of classes per month.

The Table Mesa location is awaiting its grand opening in mid-October and until then, students can lock in a monthly rate of $139 for a premier membership.

CU Recreation Center

For the fellow buffs on campus that want to get the most out of their CU Rec fees or don’t feel like paying for a gym or studio membership, the CU Rec Center is up and running for students only.

Students will be required to make a reservation that approximately lasts one hour. Reservations can be made up to three days in advance.

Students can also go on the CU Rec Center website and view Live Facility Counts to see how many people are in an area of the gym and at what capacity it is at. Temperatures are not taken.

The recreation center is open Mon-Fri from 6:30 a.m. – 1 p.m. and 2 – 9 p.m. Sat: 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. and 2 – 9 p.m. Sun: 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. and 2 – 6 p.m. There is one hour where the gym is closed each day to allow for a deep cleaning on all equipment, machines, and gym areas.

Crunch Fitness Gym

If you’re not really into taking classes with instructors at scheduled times then there is Crunch Fitness, a popular gym in Boulder. What sets Crunch Fitness apart from most gyms during this time is that they allow walk-ins and do not require members to sign up for an allotted time slot to workout; it is a first come, first serve basis and members may stay for as long as they need for their workout. 

During the pandemic, Crunch has set a maximum capacity of 125 people allowed in the gym at a single time. If they are at maximum capacity, you can wait in a socially-distanced line outside until it is your turn to get in. Once you have reached the front of the line, your temperature will be taken before you begin your workout.

Masks are required at all times and there are signs that show which machines are in use or not. The Crunch staff also conduct floor walks every 30 minutes to make sure everyone is wearing a mask and is socially distanced correctly. Machines and equipment are also wiped down.

You can find out more about what Crunch Fitness is doing here: https://info.crunch.com/member-updates

While it can be a little hard to find motivation to work out during this time, sometimes you need that extra push of encouragement that you can find by going to the gym or registering for a fitness class.

If you are not comfortable or unsure of whether it is the right time to go to a gym or studio with people, make sure to do your research beforehand and there is nothing wrong with a good ol’ at-home workout consisting of Pamela Reif, Blogilates videos, or however you may possibly choose to workout.

Michelle Lopez

CU Boulder '22

Michelle is a senior majoring in both Finance & Journalism. When she is not writing for Her Campus, she can be found napping in her cozy bed, hanging with her bestie boos, and always admiring the beautiful flatties.