books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash
Wellness

5 Feel-Good Movies to Watch When Midterms Have You Down

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CSU chapter.

Midterms can be a lot. Like, A LOT a lot. There’s so much studying to do and not enough time to do it, and when are you supposed to fit in time to do your regular homework? Or hang out with friends? Or sleep?

When the thought of another minute studying induces nausea, it’s time to take a break. And what better way to escape the nightmare of midterms than by one of the purest forms of escapism: movies. I’ve listed my top five favorite feel-good films that allow you to disappear into another world for a little while, even when stress threatens to take over.

1. My Big Fat Greek Wedding (2002)

For those that haven’t seen this classic rom-com, the story follows Toula, the daughter of Greek immigrants that value tradition, culture, and family above all else. When Toula falls in love with Ian, a non-Greek, they must fight the odds to be together.

This movie pairs well with a cozy blanket, hot chocolate, and a face mask.

2. Black Panther (2018)

This smashing box-office success tells the story of T’Challa, the king of the fictional African country Wakanda and his rise to power after the death of his father. He must learn how to be a leader, navigate international politics, and deal with family drama. Sit back and enjoy one of the most visually striking Marvel films and get lost in the special effects for a few hours.

Take your movie-watching experience to the next level by watching with your besties and snacking on your favorite popcorn and candy combos.

3. Monsters University (2013)

This hit prequel to the Disney/Pixar favorite Monster’s Inc tells the story of how heroes Mike and Sully meet in college. We watch them experience all of the coming-of-age trials college students are all too familiar with; panicking about the future, switching majors, making friends, fitting in, etc. Watching these two goofy monsters find their way feels simultaneously honest and sweet, like watching a childhood friend grow up before your eyes.

Pair with your favorite cheap pizza and pajamas, and celebrate the college experience.

4. Mamma Mia (2008)

There’s something about this musical that just radiates joy. We follow Sophie on her journey to planning her wedding with her mother, Donna, and her fiancé, Sky. Sophie is determined to invite her long-estranged father to the wedding, but Donna has other plans. With featured music by ABBA, this film will have you smiling from start to finish.

Pair with a favorite alcoholic or nonalcoholic drink of your choice and start dancing, queen!

5. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016)

Even if you’re not a Harry Potter nerd like myself, you’re bound to enjoy the endless wonder and magic of JK Rowling’s Wizarding World. This film takes place in 1920s New York and follows the adventures of wizard Newt Scamander, as he attempts to study some wily magical creatures.

This film pairs best with a hot cup of tea and a love of all things magical.

Don’t let the pressure of midterms get you down. Take a minute (or an hour or two) and escape for a while. Grab a bowl of popcorn and allow yourself to relax. Your body and mind will appreciate the chance to breathe, and you’ll feel more refreshed when it’s time to get back to the grind.

Follow Brooke on Twitter and Instagram!

Journalism & Media Communications major at CSU. Writer, book nerd, movie enthusiast, music lover.
Hi, my name is Karony (Care-uh-knee)! I am a second year HDFS student at Colorado State University and I love being involved on campus. You'll probably find me working VS PINK events on campus or fundraising for Camp Kesem. Check me out on Instagram: @AmatoDaVoi