This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

Please note that this is from what has helped me in my own experiences dealing with my mental health and what I’ve found helps me. I’m not a licensed professional. If you feel you are in danger of harming yourself please reach out to a professional. There’s a link to Concordia’s health and wellness page below. 

https://www.concordia.ca/students/campus-services/health-wellness-fitness.html

Make sure to eat and drink water

It’s important to take care of your basic needs first. We need nourishment and hydration so make sure you’re eating somewhat good foods and drinking water.

Take a shower

Or, just wash your face; it’s basic hygiene. It might seem trivial and might be the last thing you want to do, but it can help you feel a bit better and bring you closer to a functional human being (I know I do). 

Open the blinds

As we all know by now, nature and spending time outside is beneficial for our mental health. However, when we’re having a bad mental health day, we might not want to go outside, which is fair. So opening your blinds and letting in the sun could be a solution for you.

Ask a friend to hang out later in the week

You might not want to hang out with your friends when you’re having a bad day. It can be a good idea to reschedule with your friends if you had made plans with them. You can try shooting a text to a friend asking if they want to do something -get a cup of coffee, brunch, study together- a few days later.

Get dressed, do your makeup or just change your clothes

You don’t need to go outside but taking care of yourself by doing little things, such as putting together a nice outfit, can help you feel better. 

Move your body

Have yourself a one-person dance party, do yoga or just walk in a circle. It’s good to move around a bit.

Do one thing for school

If you can do more, great. If not, that’s good too. Even if you just read a couple of pages or do a few flashcards. 

Forgive yourself

It’s okay to have bad days. It’s okay to have a string of bad days. It’s hard but try to forgive yourself and take some time off.

Nicole Renzetti

Concordia CA '22

Nicole is from New York, USA and moved to Montreal in 2018. She is in her second year of studies, specializing in Psychology and hopes to be a behavioral neuroscientist. She is a sister of Delta Phi Epsilon Sorority and is passionate about horseback riding, photography, and animals.
Kheyra King

Concordia CA '21

Kheyra King is a Montreal-born city girl studying English Literature at Concordia University. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Concordia and the Vice President of Recruitment of Delta Phi Epsilon. She loves coffee dates, traveling and pasta. You will definitely catch her studying at the local Starbucks or Webster Library.