girl lounging relax 3
girl lounging relax 3
Kristen Bryant / Her Campus

Make the Most of Reading Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

Not to be a bore, but reading week is a great opportunity to catch up on a lot of work. It may suck if you’re not traveling to warm places and you’re stuck in the middle of this awful winter season, however it doesn’t mean you can’t be productive! A lot of times when I have time off, I find myself lounging around until the last minute, when I finally realize I actually had a lot to do. As university students we definitely need a rest, but there’s no harm in devoting a little bit of time to some tasks on your to-do list! Here are just a few ideas to give you a head start.

1. Catch up on readings

I’m an English Literature major, which means I have a ton of readings to do. I often fall behind on them because I have so many and not enough time. Additionally, I do try to get some done in advance if I have a bit more time I’m willing to devote during reading week. That way, I can come back to school and finish the second part of the semester with a head start.

1. Study for exams

I don’t have any exams after reading week, however a lot of my friends do! A whole week off school is the perfect time to study.  Of course, reading week was intended for that purpose, but it’s easy to just want to relax during the break after having so much to do in the first half of the semester. Even if you take an hour or two a day to study, it still leaves you with so much time to do everything else you’d like to do!

Unsplash

1. Spring cleaning

It may be hard to believe, but spring is on the horizon. With a week off, it’s a great time to try and declutter your space and make your life a bit less hectic. I like to essentially clear out all my shelves and drawers and start from scratch, and whatever is left in the middle of my floor is what I don’t need anymore. Consider donating some old things or sell them to make a little extra cash!

1. See old friends

During the school year I am very confined to my schedule. I really only see people in my classes and my sorority sisters, as I don’t have the time or the proper schedule to see some of my other friends. On the break, I try to arrange dates with my friends that I haven’t seen in a while. It is not only refreshing, but can take you away from all the other not-so-fun things you may be doing on the break, such as studying and cleaning.

girl and friends posing
Photo by Adrienn from Pexels

1. Take time to yourself

As I mentioned above, students definitely need a break from the busy schedule. Remember that this break is well deserved, and while it may have names such as “reading week” and “study break”, you can only do as much as you can. Remember to take care of yourself, otherwise you run the risk of overworking yourself and ultimately being less productive.

Kheyra King

Concordia CA '21

Kheyra King is a Montreal-born city girl studying English Literature at Concordia University. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Concordia and the Vice President of Recruitment of Delta Phi Epsilon. She loves coffee dates, traveling and pasta. You will definitely catch her studying at the local Starbucks or Webster Library.
Amanda is a Journalism and Creative Writing major at Concordia University in Montreal. Writing has been her passion for as long as she can remember, and is the reason why she's been pursuing it throughout her University career. She has been working on a novel-length story since high school that she hopes to one day publish. Journalism pricked her interest in her last year of high school when she took an optional class. Amanda joined a group in class, and they had to make a plan for a contest on how they would document the humanitarian work in Peru. They won first place, and had the chance of traveling to a small community in Peru where they had the chance to interview and meet volunteers and citizens. It was at that moment that Amanda knew what she wanted to do in life.