This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

Having to deal with mental health issues can be tough and sometimes feel impossible to overcome. Many people admit they want to work on improving their psychological state but don’t know where to begin. Finding the right coping strategies for yourself is a work in progress that takes effort and patience, but can greatly benefit your life. Below are some tips and tricks to help get you started on the path to a healthy and happy life.

There are many physical benefits that come from being active, such as weight management, higher energy, reduced risk of several diseases, and the list goes on. However, exercise can not only have physical advantages but psychological ones as well. Mental health and physical health are closely connected. People who are struggling with mental illnesses are more at risk of developing physical conditions and vice versa. With that being said, taking care of our physical health is a great way to deal with or avoid any mental health issues. Exercising releases endorphins, a chemical in your brain that produces the feeling of happiness while also relieving pain and stress. Beingactive can have numerous benefits including higher  energy levels, easier time falling asleep, improved memory and an overall better mood, which can have a  positive impact on your mind. Along with these benefits, adapting to a more active lifestyle can give you a higher sense of well being and self esteem. Feeling better about your appearance can make you more comfortable in your own skin and can result in the feeling of achievement. Exercise can also be used as a distraction by giving your mind a break from harmful thoughts that may be causing you stress.

myths about gymming, women in fitness 4
Photo by CHU Gummies from Unsplash

Getting a good night’s rest is as essential to survival as food and water as it allows the body to rest and repair itself.Not only is sleep necessary for building your immune system and giving your body strength, but it can play a big role in the development and maintenance of psychological health problems. Lack of sleep has a great impact on your psychological state. Waking up after a sleepless night can cause you to be more grumpy, easily irritated and prone to stress. However, once you are well rested, your mood will  improve and you will  feel more productive and concentrated. 

Dealing with stressful periods in life is inevitable. Not learning how to manage the negative thoughts that come with those stressful times can have a toll on your mental health and can create or worsen any mental illnesses. Figuring out what coping strategies are most helpful for you to manage stress can help you find happiness and can make facing negative times a little easier. Meditation is one practice that helps many people clear their mind and put a break on whatever is going on in their life. Another effective coping mechanism is journaling. Writing down your feelings can be a great way  of letting go of negative thoughts. Finding the right technique can take time since it is different for every person so trying out different things and evaluating how they make you feel is a great start.

Silhouette of woman doing yoga at sunset
Photo by Kike Vega from Unsplash
Finding the right way to deal with psychological issues can be challenging, which is why people tend to turn to unhealthy coping strategies that provide instant relief but can have long term damaging consequences. Many people rely on substances like alcohol or drugs when going through a rough period because it is a simple way to temporarily numb your pain. Unfortunately, if you are trying to improve your mental health, these behaviours may be doing the opposite in the long term. The more you use these substances, the more you rely on them to feel “normal”. This can lead to anxiety when having to go without them and can cause physical health issues or substance addiction. There are hundreds of unhealthy coping methods like substance abuse that may not seem as damaging but can also have long term consequences including over sleeping, over eating, and even retail therapy.

Feeling stressed and bottling up those feelings instead of releasing that built up tension can do more harm than good. Dealing with mental health issues alone can be overwhelming which is why it is important to have someone to speak to in a confidential environment. Having a friend to vent to that you can trust can benefit you greatly and can also solidify your relationship with that person. If you do not feel comfortable sharing your thoughts with anyone in your life, a psychologist may be a better choice. Their goal is to listen to you and help you find your own solutions to whatever is causing your stress.. Speaking to someone about your  difficulties can help you understand that you are not alone and that the feelings you are experiencing are more common than you think. Remember that asking for help is a sign of strength and not weakness.

Jacqueline Cohen

Concordia CA '23

Jacqueline Cohen is a first year marketing student at Concordia University. She has a passion for travel, music, beauty and fashion.
Kheyra King

Concordia CA '21

Kheyra King is a Montreal-born city girl studying English Literature at Concordia University. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Concordia and the Vice President of Recruitment of Delta Phi Epsilon. She loves coffee dates, traveling and pasta. You will definitely catch her studying at the local Starbucks or Webster Library.