This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

It’s that time of year again, when everything you’ve put off and procrastinated on this term catches up with you. With exams right around the corner and final paper due dates coming up, schoolwork can feel overwhelming. Staying on top of studying can be easier than it seems though. Here are four tips to help you avoid a series of stressed out all-nighters:

1. Stay organized

If you’re feeling overwhelmed before you’ve even started studying, make a to-do list. Writing down everything you need to do over the next few weeks can help you visualize your workload and plan out your time accordingly. Using a to-do list lets you keep track of your progress and keeps you in control of your studying. 

2. Get enough sleep

Sometimes the best way to prepare for an exam is just to call it a night. Staying up all night trying to memorize a semester’s-worth of readings will actually make your memory worse. So when you make your study schedule, be sure to give yourself time for a full night’s sleep before every exam. 

3. Exercise

Going to the gym can seem like the easiest thing to cut out of your day when you need more time to study. If you’re feeling overwhelmed though, the gym can be the perfect place to relieve your stress. Studies show exercise gives your body many of the same benefits as meditation. Healthline.com explains that the repetitive motions of physical activity “can help provide calmness and clarity,” putting you in the perfect mindset to finally sit down and write that paper. 

4. Take breaks

Studies show the most effective way to study is to stop every so often. Brainscape.com recommends taking short, scheduled breaks so that studying feels less exhausting. However, to avoid having these 10 to 15 minute breaks become hours spent on social media, try out social media-blocking apps for your computer. Apps like Cold Turkey will let you block websites like Facebook and Twitter for set amounts of time.

Juliet Booker

Concordia CA

Juliet Booker is in her second year at Concordia University where she's majoring in Journalism and minoring in Creative Writing. When Juliet isn't writing, she loves film photography and going to concerts. Juliet is originally from North Vancouver, and while she misses the ocean and the mountains when she's in Montreal, she can't imagine being a student anywhere else.
Krystal Carty

Concordia CA '19

Krystal Carty is a second year journalism student and the founding member of the Concordia chapter of Her Campus. Her interests include drinking copious amounts of caffeine and spending as much time with her adorable rescue dog as possible. Krystal has a degree in sarcasm and a love for all things pop culture.