This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Coming from a long-time (and dedicated) gym hater, I’m here to formally announce that I have changed my ways. It took a long time for me to come to terms with this, but the gym does not have to be a scary place of horrendous lighting and weight-throwers. Now, I certainly will not lie to you and tell you that the bad lighting and weight-throwers do not exist. BUT! I promise, there are ways to drown out these scary stereotypes. I’m here to share my top three tips that made me become a fearless Taylor Swift-driven gym QUEEN!

nobody is looking at you

One of the most nerve-wracking thoughts associated with going to the gym is the idea that everyone is watching you. Honestly, that could not be more incorrect. The first time I went to the gym and decided that it was the day I would try to use a machine, I froze. I sat down on the machine only to realize there were no instructions and no one there so I could watch someone else use it. I decided I wasn’t ready to try that machine, and with my head hung low, I got up without doing a single rep. When I looked up expecting jaws on the floor and disappointing reactions from my fellow gym goers, I saw nothing. Not even a glance. I was shocked at first. I was in the bro-iest bro gym you could ever imagine. Weightlifters with upwards of 300 pounds on their bars and experts on every machine surrounded me. And not a soul noticed that I had literally just sat on a machine, did nothing, and left. It was honestly a huge moment of realization for me. When I exercise, all I’m focused on is coming out of my workout alive. I’m not glancing around at others, I’m giving myself a pep talk, I’m thinking about what I’m going to have for dinner, etc. And everyone else is doing the EXACT same thing! Just like you, they have their own things going on.

it’s okay to ask for help

Okay, now this is where it gets real. I was simply not in the mood to try a new machine on that one fateful day, and I knew there were other options. But, sometimes you just really want to try that machine you’ve seen on TikTok or Instagram. In most gyms, there will be instructions on every machine. You might still have some questions though, like what’s the proper form? Can I use this machine for more than one exercise? How can I make it work best for me? I’m definitely a sit-on-the-machine-and-watch-a-YouTube-video kind of girl, and that is totally fine. Once again, nobody is looking at you, and even if they happen to glance in your direction, you’re just checking your phone. Even though I love a quick Google search, I’ve found that sometimes the best thing to do is ask someone else in the gym. Maybe it’s gym staff or someone who looks the most approachable. More often than not, they will be happy to help you! This tip doesn’t go strictly for machines, either. Maybe you’ve picked up some barbells to do Bulgarian split-squats and something doesn’t feel right. If something feels uncomfortable, ask! This advice also applies to spotting. If you’re looking to push yourself, don’t do it alone. Make sure someone is around to help you out. People will respect that you’re seeking the proper way to complete an exercise; you’re just trying to workout effectively and safely. 

there’s no such thing as a bad workout

To me, this one is huge. I come from a family of exercise lovers, and they would never tell me I didn’t do enough in the gym on a given day. I just admire them and try to keep up with their level of effort and skill. However, some days, either my body is exhausted, my mind is exhausted, or both. If I manage to get myself to the gym on days that I don’t want to, I remind myself that I don’t need to workout for hours to feel accomplished. Sometimes it’s just a light twenty minute walk on the treadmill or a quick set with some dumbbells. Everyone hits slow days, whether you’ve been working out for ten years or ten days. It doesn’t matter what you did or how long your workout was, what matters is that you took the time to do something positive for both your mental and physical health. And that is something to be proud of. 

Take these tips and go show that gym what you’re made of. You are capable of being just as good as (you think) everyone else in the gym is. It just takes some time and getting out of your own head.

Nora Triandis

Columbia Barnard '24

Junior at Barnard College still trying to figure out how to successfully live in NYC. Psychology major, SoulCycle enthusiast, lululemon Educator, and the Great British Baking Show's #1 fan.