Romanticizing Yourself and Finding Self Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

As the New Year season has already kicked off and Valentine’s Day swiftly approaches, it’s important to continue to prioritize yourself in 2023. For some, this season is a difficult time as Valentine’s Day is promoted all over social media by brands and couples.

Here are five ways to romanticize yourself without a man or just to improve your sense of self-love!

1) Pinterest! Pinterest! Pinterest!

Pinterest is my holy grail and secret weapon when beginning a journey to self love in a fresh mindset. Start browsing aesthetics and ideas on Pinterest, and make a board solely on romanticizing yourself this holiday. 

Begin with picking out pictures of you or who you view yourself as internally. For me, that looks like a valley girl frolicking in a meadow filled with flowers. For you, it might look like a successful, career-oriented woman. Regardless of what your perspective is, choose a quality or view of yourself you want to accentuate and love.

Secondly, pick out quotes or letters from Pinterest as if you were picking them out for a friend or someone you cared deeply for, and give them to yourself through your board. Treat these as love letters to the parts of yourself you love the most deeply.

Lastly, you can add this to your screen as a widget or by using the Shuffles app by Pinterest, to remind yourself to romanticize and love your best qualities. Keeping this easy to view “reminder” will help you to love yourself throughout the dayy\.

2) Make your Soundtrack

Untitled design 4?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Polydor and Interscope/Universal Music New Zealand/Republic Records

This step is where you apply your Pinterest aesthetic and goals into your life in a simple way. You become what you listen to, so create a playlist filled with songs that make you feel like “that girl.” For you, this might be such as songs that make you feel confident or could even be background instrumental melodies. Compile as many of these songs you can, while still sticking to your focused vibe, to fit into this one playlist.

Now that that’s done, get a pair of earbuds or headphones. Listen to your music like it’s the soundtrack of your own movie, and become one with these songs. Ran out of songs or want more like the ones you have chosen? Enhance your playlist or go to your Playlist’s radio on apps like Spotify.

3) Flower Delivery

Why not buy yourself flowers? You can choose from a selection of arrangements and can often have bouquets delivered at your doorstep. What better way to gift yourself than something beautiful and natural just like yourself?!

Or be kind to someone else this season and gift someone you know a flower arrangement. Sometimes just doing something good for someone else is just as rewarding as if it were for your own self.

4) Bake and Decorate

If you were anything like me as a child, you romanticized being a baker and decorating all the sweets you could! Even with egg and milk prices skyrocketing, there are affordable ways to still fulfill this creative desire. 

You could start by looking up vegan friendly recipes without milk or eggs, and experiment with what possibilities there are outside of normal baking grounds. Find recipes on TikTok or online and try something affordable and unique.

Another great option could make your own chocolate covered strawberries! Find your favorite chocolate mix and pair it with sprinkles. If white chocolate is a must have, be sure to grab some food coloring to mix into your chocolate for some extra color. The decorating possibilities are endless, and this can make a nice gift for a Galentines get together or a reward for yourself. 

Maybe you have eggs or milk to spare and can decorate a cake or some cookies. If so, go for it! 

If you are not confident in your baking skills whatsoever, I highly suggest a Valentine’s Day GingerBread House! I could not believe these existed until I saw them for the first time this year in a Walmart, but understand why this is a wanted product. It is so satisfying to decorate and not everyone right now can afford to decorate anything else. It also promotes repurposing and keeps positive vibes for Valentine’s just like Christmas.

Regardless which choice interests you the most, In the end, it’s not about how well they turn out. Instead, it’s about enjoying the experience making them and the reward of a final treat.

5) REst in nature

I’m not saying to just collapse in a field, but creating opportunities like bringing a towel to lay down in a lawn or a hammock to recline by trees is a great way or romanticizing yourself.

Sometimes distancing away from others and just watching the clouds move and the leaves blow is all that’s needed. Space can be hard to get in academic buildings, so allow yourself to have room to do things you are passionate about outside of a formal atmosphere. 

Now that you have these tips, start loving yourself and romanticizing your life this Valentine’s season!

Maci Kaye Anderson

Coastal Carolina '24

Maci Kaye is a Communication (PR) major and a Marketing minor at Coastal Carolina University. I am the editor of our Her Campus chapter, work as the Program Director of WCCU Radio, and am a member of Omicron Delta Kappa honors leadership society.