This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

Not to sound like every influencer on your For You Page, but let me put you on to the Hot Girl Walk. It’s somewhat difficult to pinpoint the trend’s inception, but around 2022-2023 it blew up. Is the hot girl walk a novel concept? No, you’re simply taking a walk, but the benefits are undeniable. 

Mia Lind created the trend as a way to cope with being off the University of Southern California during the pandemic. She called her time in quarantine a “bummer” and felt “cooped up.” Her mother suggested she take a walk outside with her sister. Slowly but surely, she began to feel better. These simple walks with her sister would soon become one of the biggest TikTok fitness crazes! The first video alone has garnered over 750,000 views!

So you may be wondering, what exactly is a hot girl walk? Honestly, it’s anything you want it to be! When Mia began her walking journey, she walked roughly 4 miles outdoors. It’s not so much about how far as much as the content of your walk. Mia would focus on 3 essential things while walking: 

1. What are you grateful for?

2. Your goals and how you plan to achieve them

3. How hot you are!

Focusing on these aspects kept her mind from more negative matters such as her forced isolation from her sorority sisters. Whether you use the walk as reflection time or as a fun way to exercise is entirely up to you!

The name itself plays off of rapper Megan Thee Stallion’s ‘Hot Girl Summer’ mindset. This theory states that ‘hotness’ is not physical appearance but rather the state of mind you operate in. This may sound silly, but try referring to yourself as hot or pretty instead of reverting to self-deprecation and see how your outlook transforms! 

Don’t just take my word for it though, medical experts also love the hot girl walk! Dr. CJ Bathgate is a licensed psychologist at National Jewish Health. Bathgate found that not only does taking a walk outside help with “reducing symptoms of anxiety, depression, and stress,” but it also has positive impacts on “sleep, memory, planning, and confidence.” Walking is also one of the more accessible forms of exercise. You don’t need the fanciest of equipment or the cutest active wear to achieve a successful hot girl walk. Personally, I am not a huge fan of going to the gym, so I love that I can take a lap around my apartment complex and still feel good about myself. Rachel Trotta, a NASM-certified personal trainer, said that the walk gives people the motivation to get moving without setting high standards for what a workout should be. Hot girl walks also instill good, consistent habits and self-care. 

When I began my hot girl walk journey with my friend, I had no idea how much it would change my life for the better; so much so that I have a hot girl walk sticker on my emotional support water bottle! We will constantly text each other ‘walk tonight?’ We have a rule between us that whatever negative feelings that we may unleash doesn’t come back into our apartment. This helps us clear our heads and reset after a long day. Think of it as a journal without the fear of someone else reading it!

Hopefully, you are now convinced to try the best fitness crazes, in my opinion! Remember that the walk is entirely what you make of it. You don’t need to walk 4 miles everyday to experience the hot girl walk; your commute to class may be more than enough. Pop some headphones in and blast your favorite hype playlist! Maybe you’re like me and use this as your time to catch up on your latest audiobook or go with a friend and catch up. There is no such thing as an ugly person, only hot ones who don’t yet realize it!! So get out there and walk it out!!

Riley Maerlender

Coastal Carolina '25

Riley is a junior at Coastal Carolina University. She loves writing for Her Campus and serving on the chapter's exec board. She also enjoys reading, crafts, and all things pop culture!