Vegan Eats: Apple Cider Maple Glazed Tofu

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Hello everyone! It’s been a hot minute since I last shared a delicious vegan recipe with you all. I’m back now, though, and I’m about to share with you one of the best tofu recipes I’ve ever come across! I discovered this Apple Cider Maple Glazed Tofu recipe over winter break and knew I had to try it. After pairing it with some asparagus, glazed carrots, and rice, I was hooked. The best part is that it’s so easy to make and only requires a few ingredients! 

You will need:

2 blocks of extra firm tofu

Salt & pepper 

Apple Cider Maple Glaze:

1 1/2 cups of apple cider

1/4 cup of maple syrup

2 tablespoons of dijon mustard

2 tablespoons of brown sugar

1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar

1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon

Just a pinch of nutmeg

1 tablespoon of cornstarch

1 tablespoon of water

Instructions:

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

2. Press the tofu with a paper towel and then slice into desired shape. I sliced mine three times on the side (I prefer thinner slices) and then cut them into triangles, but it’s all about preferance, so do whatever you like best! After you’ve done that, place to tofu slices on paper towels and sprinkle with salt.

3. Either spray a baking sheet with non stick spray or just cover with aluminium foil, then place the tofu on to the baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake on one side for 10-15 minutes. Then, flip them over and bake on the other side for 10-15 minutes or until crispy and brown. 

4. After you’ve put the tofu in the oven, begin making the glaze. In a medium sauce pan, combine the apple cider and maple syrup and cook on medium high. Then add the mustard, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Whisk to combine. Reduce the heat andd bring the mixture to a simmer for about 10 minutes.

5. While the mixture is simmering, in a separate bowl, whisk the corn starch and water together until fully combined and then add to the glaze. Simmer for about 5 more minutes, then remove from heat.

6. Once the tofu is nice and crispy looking, remove from the oven and brush one side with the glaze, then return to the oven for 5 more minutes. After the five minutes have passed, flip the tofu slices and do the same thing to the other side. 

7. When the tofu is finished cooking, drizzle the remaining glaze over and viola! 

Let us know if you try this recipe and how you liked it. We’d love to hear your input!

Nina is a senior at Christopher Newport University pursuing her BA in English with a concentration in writing. She has a passion for writing and helping others as much as she can, and hopes to work for an organization that will help make a difference in people's lives. In her free time, Nina enjoys reading, spending time with family and friends, and taking long naps.