samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Letter from the Editor: Breathe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Finals week will soon be upon us. In reality, the “week” of stress is truly several weeks of stress. We get so caught up in the writing, the studying, cramming, and remembering that we don’t stop to simply breathe.

In my final weeks of my undergraduate career, I’m finding myself making more time to work, and less time to breathe. I’ve even found myself teetering on the edge of panicking over the most miniscule things. I wanted to share some of the tips I’ve been utilizing to find calm and peace during one of the most stressful times of the year.

Find Your “Calm” Place

Find a space, whether it be physical or mental, and go there. The one I’ve been going to a lot is my memories of Scotland. My attitude towards stress was so different, because there was so much new and so much beauty to be found. Now that I’m back at school, I’m trying more often to revert back to that calm way of thinking when I feel myself spiraling into stress.

“Inhala, Exhala”

Jane the Virgin has been my show as of late. One of the pieces of advice Abuela gives everyone in times of crisis is to simply “Inhala, Exhala…” Just some simple deep, controlled breaths can really change a situation, both physically and mentally.

Check-in With Your Body

Check-in with yourself! Release tension in your shoulders, your neck, and even your jaw. If you need to take time to masage out tension, or even take a quick stretch, do it. You may even inspire other people in the library to do the same.

Take Care of Your Body

Be sure to eat some thing good for your body. Drink water. Sleep. Set alarms if you need to. It’s easy to skip eating, or a few hours of sleep. However, your productivity levels will skyrocket if you’re caring for your body. 

What other tips do you have for someone who’s stressed? 

Remember, you are capable of wonderful, amazing things. You got this!

English Major at Christopher Newport University || Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus @ CNU | Obstinate, headstrong girl | curly hair, don't care | Jesus & coffee & Jesus | insta:_thejewels Email: julianna.gonzalez.15@cnu.edu