jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

A few weeks ago was world mental health day, and I was pleased to see so many people speaking up about it via social media platforms; expressing support for those who suffer and starting a conversation about something that is sadly often stigmatized. It is important and beneficial to celebrate and promote World Mental Health Day, but it is even more important to continue the conversation and to be loving and supportive of people suffering from mental health conditions every other day of the year as well.

According to the American Psychological Association, 41% of college students present symptoms of anxiety, and 36% present symptoms of depression. With numbers this high, mental health should be a continuous concern on college campuses, and nobody should ever be ashamed or embarrassed to open up about their experiences or seek help.

It is a problem that mental health issues are stigmatized, as people then feel uncomfortable opening up about their problems which, in turn, leads to harmful internalization of problems and makes it more challenging to find needed support. It is also problematic, however, that certain aspects of mental health challenges are normalized and identified as part of our “Gen Z” culture. Being so overwhelmed by social and academic pressures that you excessively procrastinate is not uncommon. Having anxieties about each of your relationships and feeling inadequate or badly about yourself is not uncommon. Feeling lost and lonely is not uncommon, but that doesn’t make it any better. Experiencing a common symptom of anxiety or depression does not make it invalid. Just because “this happens to everyone sometimes” does not mean that you should dismiss it.

There is no quick “cure” for this mental health epidemic we have been seeing among college students, but there are ways that you can help your friends and peers (and yourself). The first step is recognition. Recognizing how you feel and why you feel that way is important. Sometimes the only reason you may feel a certain way is because of a mental health condition- but that is an entirely valid explanation. As much as it may feel like it at times, you are not sad, scared, nervous, etc for no reason, even if you have trouble identifying the reason. Your feelings are never, ever invalid.

It’s also important to realize that your mental health condition does not define you. If you take steps to improve your mental health- whether that’s through therapy, prescription medication, altruistic methods, etc- you are not changing yourself, you are changing something that prevents you from being yourself. If you have strep and take antibiotics to get better, you are doing so to help your body return to its natural, healthy state. If you have a mental health condition and see a therapist or take medicine, you are taking steps to return to your natural and healthy state of mind. You are not your condition.

This doesn’t only apply to self-evaluation. Realize that others are more than their struggles, too. Most of us are not trained mental health professionals and we, alone, are not always the most reliable resources to help our friends with mental health issues. It is important for people to seek professional help if they are struggling to cope with a mental health condition. However, you are a source of love, support, fun, and motivation to your friends and peers who may be struggling, and that should not be overlooked. You just being there for your friends, understanding that they sometimes don’t feel or act themselves but loving them regardless,  is more valuable than you would think. Be accepting of your friends that may struggle from time to time, or even all the time. Let them know that you are always there to talk or to listen, but that it’s also okay if they would rather take some time to them self or do something to distract them self. Listen to your friends, and love them. It may seem like you can’t do enough to help them, but just being there is plenty.

Photo by Min An from Pexels

Remember that you matter and that you deserve to be happy, and if you feel that anything is preventing you from being happy, reach out and ask for help. There is nothing weak about asking for help, in fact, it is one of the strongest things a person can do. It’s okay to not be okay, but I want you to be okay and you deserve to be okay. It won’t last forever.

You will be okay.

Hotlines servicing the Newport News area:

National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) Help Hotline: (800)-950-6264

National Suicide Prevention Hotline: (800)-273-8255

CNU Counseling Services: (757)-591-7661

cnu 2022 she believed she could, so she did