That’s not sweat, my body’s just crying: Getting Fit with YouTube

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

Let’s be honest: it takes a lot of effort and motivation to go to the gym — especially now — when Pittsburgh weather can be unforgiving (and super unpredictable, for that matter).

So, in the spirit of trying to stay in shape and not becoming lazy, I’ve recently become a huge fan of workout videos on YouTube because of, well, their convenience. I don’t have to go outside in the bitter cold, I can exercise right in my dorm, and they take about 25 minutes max to do (not to mention that no one has to see me in my post-workout glory). I think this is a reasonable and healthier alternative to wasting half an hour stalking away on Facebook (which we can easily do when we procrastinate, right?) And, in our busy lives as college girls, it’s not always easy to fit working out into our schedules.

So, with that being said, here are some awesome workout video channels on YouTube.

Blogilates

Trainer Cassey Ho’s videos are, in my opinion, the epitome of what every girl wants in a workout — they’re short, effective, and by the end of them, I can’t feel my abs/legs/whatever the workout targeted. That soreness you feel almost immediately after the workout is motivating, and it’s even better when you realize you didn’t even have to leave your dorm to accomplish it. They’re also amazing stress-busters.

There’s a large variety of videos as well as types of exercises — from Bikini Blasters, which involve high intensity interval training (HIIT), to yoga exercises and POP Pilates, there’s a video bound to suit all types of fitness levels and goals. To do these workouts, all you need is a water bottle and perseverance.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/user/blogilates

Amanda Russell

Similar to Blogilates, Amanda Russell’s videos are quick and they deliver. However, she typically has total body cardio workouts instead of individualized workouts focusing on target areas. What’s also different about her videos is that they’re 6 minutes long.  She typically shows you how to do certain moves, and then you have to do each of them for 4 minutes (in 20 second rounds with a 10 second break) totaling to about a 20 minute workout. Since these videos are more individually oriented, I’d recommend blasting your favorite workout playlist while doing the exercises.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/user/AmandaRussell

Fitness Blender

Fitness Blender is another personal favorite of mine. Even though the workouts are a little bit longer (they’re around half an hour long), they are just as enjoyable and even more focused on specific target areas, such as toning the lower back, calves, and hamstrings. Among the large variety of HIIT and low-impact cardio videos, there is a 1000-calorie-burning workout (which is an hour and 24 minutes long), a workout that combines yoga and cardio, and a kickboxing workout. Prepare to sweat.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/user/FitnessBlender

BeFit

Finally, BeFit has videos led by a dynamic instructor that are group-oriented and span from traditional HIIT workouts and yoga to Hip Hop Dance workouts. They have new videos every week and new Extreme Workout videos every weekday. Additionally, there’s a free 90-day program with multiple levels to gauge your improvement and fitness level.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/user/B…

Dedicating 20 or so minutes to cardio can most definitely fit into anyone’s busy schedule — if you want it to, of course. With some consistency, working out can do wonders to lower stress levels and boost self-esteem, energy levels, mental strength, and motivation (which I’m sure we all can use at some point).

Staying in shape shouldn’t be a struggle — so with some motivation, YouTube, and possibly a workout buddy, it’s definitely possible.

Laura Stiles is a Creative Writing, Professional Writing double major at Carnegie Mellon University who will be graduating in May 2014. In addition to being Co-Editor-in-Chief of the Carnegie Mellon chapter of HerCampus.com, she is Co-Prose Editor of The Oakland Review, Carnegie Mellon’s literary-arts journal, a manuscript reader for Carnegie Mellon University Press, and has copy-edited for Carnegie Mellon’s newspaper, The Tartan. She was also Communications and Arts Management Intern at The Hillman Center for Performing Arts in summer 2012, and is ecstatic to be studying abroad in Sheffield, England in spring 2013. In her free time, she enjoys singing along to music on long car rides, spontaneously kicking off her shoes to explore lakes and creeks, and curling up with a soft blanket and a captivating book. She was also recently pleasantly surprised to discover that she has a taste for sushi.