bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why Every College Student Should Practice Yoga

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Yoga is a meditative and physical practice that originated thousands of years ago in the Indian subcontinent. It’s becoming more and more popular among college students and young adults and I personally try and practice yoga every day! Even if it’s just for a few minutes, it helps me stay in the right mental space so I don’t lose my mind through college (which I’m sure everyone can appreciate). Here are all the reasons I think every college student should practice yoga!

1. Better Posture

A lot of yoga focuses on activating and using your core, as well as strengthening your back and sitting or standing as tall as you can. All those different elements make a strong foundation for your body, which can help you sit up straighter and even relieve some back pain if you sit for long periods of time.

2. Better Body Image and Self-Confidence

In fact, a 2014 study found that after doing yoga for 8 weeks, college students had better perceptions of themselves and were more confident! By being more aware of your body and its needs, you can stay more in touch with yourself even on your busiest days.

3. Can Help Control Anxiety and Sleep Better

A lot of yoga focuses on deep, slow breathing, and focusing on the moment, which can help you stay calm and collected if you’ve got a busy week. Plus, if you do it right before bed, it can help you relax so you sleep better!

4. Quick and Easy

Your yoga practice can be as long or as short as you want it! It can be basic deep breathing exercises with some light stretches as an easy way to relax, or more complicated postures and poses. And, if you don’t know where to start, there are plenty of videos on YouTube! Here’s a link to my favorite YouTube guru!

5. Personalized for Your Needs

There are so many ways to make your practice your own! You can use it to relieve anxiety or stress; to work specific parts of your body, like if you have lower back pain or frequent headaches; and even as a workout in the comfort of your own room. It’s really for whatever you need, which is what makes it such a great option for busy college students!

6. Encourages Self-Care

Yoga is a very holistic practice and encourages a sense of well-being in all aspects of your life. When you feel more relaxed on a day-to-day basis and feel better about yourself, you’ll start taking better care of yourself!

I'm an Honors Biological Sciences major here at Clemson University. I love science, theater, poetry, and music and am incredibly passionate about world events, especially what's going on in the Middle East. I love meeting new people, trying new things (especially food), and sharing new experiences with the people I love!
Hannah Fanset

Clemson '21

Hi, Everyone! I'm Hannah Fanset. I'm a sophomore from Rochester, NY, and I'm majoring in psychology and management. My favorite things are books, movies, traveling, eating good food and laughing way too loud.