This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clarion chapter.

Anyone who knows me is well aware of the fact that my mental health is extremely important to me. I am very dedicated to making sure I do everything I can to to be as healthy as possible in that area. I believe that as women, we sometimes forget to take the time to really pay attention to our minds. It can be easy to get caught up in our busy lives, always running from one place to the next. We have to keep up with events, assignments, work, and everything in between. Our minds are constantly working overtime to get all of these things accomplished. Any normal person facing all of this is most likely going to experience some level of stress. It  obviously varies from person to person but it is pretty much inevitable. 

Yes, stress is a part of everyday life and it’s silly to think that you can evade it completely. While this may be the case, it isn’t always about focusing on the stress itself. Having ways to combat and cope with stressful and anxiety inducing circumstances is really important if you want to remain sane. I am very familiar with stress…we go way back. I’ve become a very involved person during my academic career so juggling school and extracurricular activities is a primary struggle for me. This is where most of my stress stems from.

I have made it my personal mission to advocate for not only my mental health but for that of others as well. This has become one of my coping mechanisms. Being creative also helps me to relax and focus on something other than worrying. I started a YouTube channel over the summer after months of chickening out from doing it. I am evolving my channel into my personal outlet for my anxiety and stress. I use filming and editing as a way to use my mind for something I have a passion for. It can be very daunting to always have my brain power going towards homework and projects. I create videos to help me tend to my mind.

I share this with you to give you an example of ways I like to unwind and refocus myself. Here are a few more tips on how to eliminate anxiety and stress. I hope they help you as much as they help me.

-A

• Find the root of your stress. (What worries you the most?)
  • Talk to someone (Friends or family can be great. Even a therapist or counselor!)
  • Relax your body (Recognize when your body is tense and try to relax it by sections)
  • Breathe! (Deep breathing with counting really helps me)
  • Try guided meditations (There are plenty out there! Try an app or a video)
  • Be active (Walk, run, swim, bike, move your body!)
  • Listen to music (I love making chill playlists)
  • Watch a thought provoking movie/documentary (Netflix is the spot for these)