Helpful Tips for the College Transition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

So, it’s that time in your life when you finally take that big step. I’m talking about going to college. Whether you live in the dorms or in a house, with one roommate or five, this is an important part of growing up. Plus, who wouldn’t want to be free from their parents, right? Or so we think…

Here are some tips on adjusting to college life: 

Food:

You get a warm, fuzzy feeling just thinking about it. Food. Now, having a place of your own means going to the grocery store because if you don’t, food will not magically appear in your fridge (sorry to disappoint). Some choose their grocery store based on preference, others choose it based on price. Who wants to pay $2.50 for an avocado, anyway? No thanks, Whole Foods. And plus, you can’t just buy all the junk food these places have, you actually have to buy real food. This means veggies and greens and fruits and… quinoa. Now do you miss the days when you could eat Lucky Charms without a care in the world? 

My tip: Make a meal plan every Sunday for the week with ingredients and cooking instructions. That way, you have a shopping list ready to go and it’s much faster. You can reuse the plans every month!

Sleeping:

What do college students love to do? Nap. As kids, we dreaded having to go to sleep. Now, your bed will be your true best friend. The thought of snuggling up in bed with a nice cup of tea and Netflix is often much more appealing than going out. I know, shocking. 

My tip: If you are feeling exhausted but still have a lot to do, take a one hour nap. It is healthier to rest if you truly need it, rather than force yourself to stay up. It is long enough that you’ll rest but short enough to keep you alert after waking up. 

Homework:

Ugh. Even writing out the word homework gives me chills, and not in an I-just-saw-Ryan-Gosling-shirtless way. Homework and projects and essays OH MY! In high school, you had a lot of busy work and books to read and essays each week. In college, some classes will only give you a midterm, a final, and maybe a project or two. It all depends on the teacher. Whatever the case, those few assignments will count for a big chunk of your grade. 

My Tip: Be organized and manage your time efficiently. I used to be super unorganized but college really didn’t let me. So what did I do? I bought a planner (Erin Condren has amazing ones). I separated my planner by sections, bought sticky notes, made to-do lists, and set reminders for myself. It is also best not to procrastinate, but I can’t for sure say I have mastered that one 100% yet. Oops! 

Alcohol:

When you lived with your parents, alcohol was taboo. In college, the rules are different. Actually, there are no rules. You’ve watched all the college movies where the cool kids consume endless amounts of alcohol, play countless games of beer pong, and where the others who don’t drink or party are looked down upon. This is not true, you can still go to parties and have fun at them without drinking to the point of blacking out. It all depends on your personality type and what you like to do. So basically, just do you boo.

My tip: If you are someone who likes their alcohol, don’t overdue it and make sure you learn your limits. If alcohol is not your thing, stick with people who won’t pressure you into doing anything you are not comfortable with.

Plans:

Your friends and you excitedly plan all the fun things you will be able to do now that you live on your own. But, while your plans can sometimes work out, you don’t end up doing half the things you talked about. The reality is you are all laid out on the couch with a box of Cheeze-Its and a tub of cookie butter watching an episode of Gossip Girl you’ve seen twice already. Life is exhausting, and after doing homework and chores, all a girl wants to do is relax. 

My tip: Have movie night snacks in your cupboard, warm blankets in your closet, and a bottle of white wine in your fridge. Trust me, nights in with your best girl friends may become some of your fondest memories. 

Exercise:

Unless you play for your school’s sports team, or you’re just naturally a fitness freak, working out in college is a struggle. Plus, who enjoys being sweaty and then sore? Not me. However, as much as we all dread it, it is part of life. We must stay active so we can be healthy! Or to eat whatever we want.

My tip: Create motivation for yourself.  Maybe you get a group of friends together and join a Pilates class. Maybe you buy all the Lululemon leggings you can afford (or can’t) just to have something cute to wear to the gym. Whatever it is, setting goals and little motivational tricks can go a long way. Remember, you are doing this for yourself, no one else.

The most important tip: have fun and enjoy the best time of your life!

Xo,

JS

Jacky is an Advertising and Public Relations major at Chapman UniversityInsta: jackysalome