stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

#SelfCare: Coping Skills That Aren’t Yoga

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

I don’t know about everyone else, but I’m pretty fed up with people telling me that I need to try yoga after I tell them that I struggle with anxiety and depression. I totally understand that yoga focuses on breathing, meditation and overall body mindfulness, but exercising stresses me out. Needless to say, yoga isn’t my go-to coping strategy, nor is it a skill I keep in my self-care repertoire. I had a hard time trying to figure out what worked best for me and my needs, so I took a trip to the health center on campus and talked to someone from the counseling department. They were really great and gave me a plethora of resources for coping with practically anything that is bothering me. Since the list is so extensive, here are a few of my favorites!

Lists, Lists, Lists

Lists are great to make when you’re feeling overwhelmed. Take a second to think about the things that are bothering you and write them down. This helps speak the issues into existence, so to say, and puts them into a different perspective. From there, you can look at each issue and weigh the impact it’s having on you. Sometimes, you can see that the issues are small (but still valid) and that the fix is something simple. 

If the stressors are all tasks that you need to complete, then making a list of everything is the first step to getting organized and getting things done!

Spa Day!

Pampering yourself is a great skill in your arsenal, since it removes you from the issue and gives you a moment to breathe. And who doesn’t feel great after a spa day? I know that I feel like a million bucks after a spa day. Nothing can stop a woman that feels good.

Chocolate is a Girl’s Best Friend

Indulge in some chocolate! There is nothing wrong with letting yourself have as much of your comfort food as you want. I’ve spent many a night with a pint (or three) of ice cream. Make some brownies, cookies, ice cream or, heck, eat some savory foods to realign yourself and your mood!

Be Kind

Take a moment out of your day to do something nice for someone! You know that you’re struggling, but someone else could also be going through a hard time. Be the supportive person for others that you want for yourself.

These are just a few skills that I’ve added to my self-care arsenal. Try them out, modify them or talk to your counseling department to see what works best for you! All in all, things may suck and seem hard to deal with, but you need to remember that you will always overcome your struggles. Never feel afraid of asking for help, and always remember that you are not alone.

Paige Pennebaker

Chapel Hill '21

Paige Pennebaker is an aspiring writer who attends UNC-Chapel Hill as a Senior during the day. She enjoys writing fiction and has been published on shortfictionbreak.com. While fiction is where her heart is, Paige also has a lot to say about the real world and how to get by.