This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

After the incessant stress of midterm exams, spring break swoops in to save strung-out college students. However, contrary to what countless teen movies would have us believe, not all of us de-stress by going to ragers in Miami (I’m looking at you, Spring Breakers).

Now, don’t get me wrong. There are certainly times when a good party is just what I need, but what I really need, this spring break, is some R&R.

There are plenty of things that I put on the back burner as I prioritize my schoolwork, which can often take a toll on my mental and physical health. Self-care is one of those things. Thus, after getting through my midterms, I’m rewarding myself with a little self-care, this spring break, and I don’t need to be on a beach in Bali to do so.

Self-care looks different for everyone. In my case, something that helps me de-stress is getting a good workout in, which can be difficult to do at university. It’s hard to find the time to go to the gym between school work and extracurriculars. Even when I do have free time, it’s hard for me to justify spending it at the gym, instead of using it to get ahead on work. Luckily, having a spring break void of any extravagant travel plans gives me lots of time to work up a sweat in my local gym.

Another thing that I often relegate to the bottom of my to-do list is spending time on my hobbies. I love art, but I very rarely make time for it at school. Your passions make you who you are, and losing touch with them can make us feel out of touch with ourselves. It’s important for me to spend time doing what I love. It not only helps me de-stress, but it also helps me feel more grounded and connected to myself.

The first half of the spring semester has left me feeling a little burnt out. A heavy course load and bombardments of midterms often lead me to prioritize my academics over my own mental and physical health. During breaks, I need to spend time on self-care to de-stress and recharge, so, while your friends may be talking about their traveling and partying agendas, remember that it’s okay not to have spring break plans. It’s okay to use your break as an opportunity to relax and prioritize self-care so that you can jump back into the semester feeling energized and motivated.

Madison Prentice

Chapel Hill '23

Madison is a first-year from Cary, North Carolina. She's an Advertising & Public Relations major with a minor in Spanish for Business. You can find her on Instagram at @mcprentice or on Twitter at @mcprentice8.