This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

As I’m writing this article, I’m watching a livestream on my phone. When I get ready in the morning, I’m either listening to an audiobook or watching Criminal Minds, both on my phone. And when I get a little bored, I immediately go on my phone and open up the Tamagotchi app (yes, it exists) or scroll through my subscription on YouTube. Whenever I get a little ounce of free time, I find myself attached to my phone. But am I addicted?

Over the past few weeks, I’ve recognized a pattern: the more stressed I am, the more time I spend on my phone. During the summer, I was only spending around an hour on my phone per day. Today, however, analytics informs me I’ve spent over four hours on my phone. In those four hours, could I have done something more productive, or is there something worthwhile about how much time I spend on my phone? I’m wondering, who decided how much time is “too much,” and why am I applying that opinion to my life? Unless there’s some scientific study that a certain amount of time on your phone is dangerous (for physical or mental health),  I don’t think there’s a set time that people should or should not spend on their phone. All I know is that I’ve started to recognize that I’m spending a good amount of time on my phone, and while I’m using that time to relax, spending time on my phone is a procrastination tactic, which just stresses me out in the long run. The cycle is (seemingly) endless.

The bottom line is this: I don’t think I’m addicted to my phone, but rather my stress influences how I spend my time. If I had the brain energy to go home and do homework right away, I would. Heck, if I had the energy to sit down and read a book, I would! Reading is my favorite activity, but after doing close-readings for all of my classes, my brain wants to shut off, and I haven’t found a mindless activity that doesn’t require my phone (or laptop). Despite that, I have made the first step toward altering my behavior. I just put time limits on my apps, hoping to cut the time on my phone to about three hours a day. Being on my phone isn’t always a bad thing; it allows me to immediately get the rest and relaxation I’m searching for, but it does get a bit tricky when I start using my phone to avoid responsibilities. I am trying to find a balance, and as the semester winds down and finals loom, I urge you to do the same. Is your relationship with your phone healthy? Mine isn’t right now, and maybe yours isn’t either, but here’s to hoping it will be.

Gennifer Eccles is an alumna at UNC Chapel Hill and the co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Chapel Hill. She studied English and Women & Gender Studies. Her dream job is to work at as an editor for a publishing house, where she can bring her two majors together to help publish diverse, authentic and angst-ridden romance novels.