Reasons to watch ‘Adventure Time: Fionna and Cake’ if you haven’t already

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Adventure Time, the adored television series created by Pendleton Ward, was never forgotten by fans even after its ending in 2018. Finn and Jake were missed by all of those who watched Cartoon Network as a kid. Because of that, a four episode special that brought back many subjects from the original series was released on HBO Max. Adventure time: Distant Lands pleased most of the fanbase since it focused on returning characters in previously unexplored areas of the animation’s universe.

Fionna and Cake, first introduced in the third season of Adventure Time back in 2011, also got their own spin-off this year. It centers around Fionna and Cake, who are alternative versions of the main characters of the franchise, Finn and Jake. They started off as an Ice King fan-fiction and are now shining in Adam Muto’s new series. Ten half-hour episodes were released, with two episodes weekly until September 28. Here are some of the characters that will definitely convince you to watch the show (if you haven’t already).

FIONNA

Fionna Campbell is a young and hilarious woman who lives alone with her cat in the city. Despite having nice friends and an overall good life, she shares her depressing and pessimistic feelings with the viewers, creating a relatable narrative – especially if you feel the same as Fionna, which most of us do. She spends half the episodes making jokes and ironic comments, which makes it a smooth watch, even though the show brings up many emotionally mature matters.

CAKE

Cake is the silly, curious and funny cat that lives with Fionna. She becomes even funnier when Prismo gives her the ability to speak. The whole story starts with Cake’s arrival in the Land of Ooo (Adventure Time‘s main setting), after falling into a portal that led her to Simon Petrikov. Fionna realizes her beloved cat has disappeared and desperately tries to find her. This way she eventually ends up in Ooo as well, which is when the adventure actually begins. 

SIMON

Simon Petrikov, initially introduced as the Ice King, now works in a personalized 20th-century home for visitors in the land of Ooo. Citizens would go see him to understand how people used to function before the apocalypse. He is tormented by his past as the Ice King and the disappearance of his fiancee Betty, so after meeting up with Fionna and Cake a new journey begins. The trio tries to find the crown of his previous self to solve his matters and send home the human and her cat.

CONVINCED YET? 

Adventure Time: Fionna and Cake manages to stay connected to the original series and explore a new and more mature side of it at the same time. It felt like a heartwarming hug to all the fans who have been supporting the franchise for years now. If you used to enjoy Adventure Time as a kid, there’s no doubt you’ll absolutely adore Fionna and Cake.

__________

The article above was edited by Clara Rocha.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus at Casper Libero‘s home page for more!

Mariana da Costa

Casper Libero '25

Journalism student at Cásper Líbero. Passionate about writing, slightly obsessed with the color green and a huge Star Wars fan.