New year, new obsession: here are 6 book series you must read in 2023

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

If you are looking for a new obsession with vampire love stories, political fights, or a magic fairyland, these six book series are perfect for you!

Wouldn’t it be amazing if we could picture a place in our minds and be able to travel there instantly? Well, we can’t but people usually say reading a book feels — almost — the same, and you don’t even need to leave your house. This is your sign to start a new obsession this year, and we brought 6 different series for you to choose where you want to visit!

Red Queen

Strong women, powers, kingdoms, and prisons. Do you like what you hear so far? If yes, then you should read Red Queen (2015) by Victoria Aveyard, a five-book fantasy series about a world where people are separated by their blood color — if it is silver you are strong and rich, if it is red you are not that lucky. Our main character, Mare Barrow, is a red blood who discovers she possesses power (the electricity ability) just like the Silver elites. In the books, we follow her journey trying to understand her power and what she can do for herself and her people.

Heartstopper

We stan Nick Nelson and Charlie Spring! Heartstopper (2019) is an HQ for the ones looking for an easy, lovely, and fun read written by Alice Oseman. It’s more than just a high school love story, our main characters are growing up and discovering themself and their sexuality while fighting against the fear of not being accepted by their families and friends. The series has four books, but Alice wrote about the same universe in other titles, such as Nick and Charlie and The Heartstopper Yearbook, Netflix has also an adaption of the HQs as a TV Show, so you have a lot to enjoy.

DUNE

In Dune (1965 – Frank Herbert), our main character Paul Atreides is supposed to avenge the traitorous plot against his family. Set on planet Arrakis, the first book introduces you to this universe and in the following, you get deeper into the mysticism and political fights. If you like book adaptations, Dune is already a movie starring Timothée Chalamet and Zendaya, and Dune: Part 2 — with Florence Pugh — is in production.

Twilight

Who doesn’t love good classic literature? Yes, Twilight (2005) is a classic, and we know it! Edward Cullen and Bella Swan’s love story is told in four books, where the author Stephenie Meyer explores the universe of vampires, their life rules, and their fights while telling the story of a teenage girl in high school fighting for the man she loves — in the ways a teenage can — and for her place in his world.

The folk of the air – Holly Black

If you were on “Booktok” last year, you may have seen some videos talking about The Cruel Prince (2018), the first book of The folk of the air trilogy written by Holly Black. In this saga, we met Jude Duarte, a human girl who after having her family killed goes to live in a fairyland with her uncle. The books follow her fighting for her place in this new magical place while also facing the political chaos the land is under. Even though this book is usually sold as an enemy to lovers’ stories (Jude + Cardan = 4ever), the love narrative is not the main focus, but you still enjoy bits of them. If you are looking for a story with a political aspect, this is the one!

A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder – Holly Jackson

This is for the thriller girlies’. This Holly Jackson trilogy (2019) has the main character Pip Fitz-Amobi, who in the first book decides to make her final paper for school about a mysterious murder that happened years ago in her city. In the following books, our main character comes back to “her detective duties”. The writing is really easy and Holly’s narrative captivates you from the beginning till the end. Also, the author just announced that the first book is going to be a TV Show! Let the countdown begin.

Some of the books recommended on this list contain sensible subjects, so before picking up your next read always check the trigger warning list. Now you can choose your favorite world, and enjoy your reading!

The article above was edited by Giulia De Demo Assis

Liked this type of content? Check out Her Campus Cásper Líbero home page for more!

Isabelle Pelozzo

Casper Libero '23

Journalism student. Passionate about soccer, Formula 1, music and movies! :)