This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

If you’re anything like me, the busy return to school tends to force hobbies onto the back burner. As the academic year has ramped up and classes are kicking into full swing, I’ve found that my capacity for seeking out books that aren’t directly related to my courses is more difficult than ever. And yet, reading has always been my favorite way to relax after a long day or let myself drift into escapism, so keeping up with the trends and reviews of Young Adult novels is an enjoyable pastime for me.

If you’ve been searching for new book recommendations this fall, look no further! I’ve compiled a list of the most popular and fan-favorite novels that you should consider picking up. From a spooky mystery to historical fantasy, this compilation features a wealth of young adult books that have been flying off the shelves this season.

The Cruel Prince by Holly Black

Fantasy, rich language, and an unforgettable heroine blend together in this fast-paced story of a treacherous faerie kingdom and the mortal girl brave enough to defy it. Combining fairytale world building with thrilling stakes, bestselling author Holly Black positions The Cruel Prince as a must-read in the world of Young Adult Fantasy.

The Cruel Prince by Holly Black
These Violent Delights by Chloe Gong

For all the aspiring authors out there — check this out! Chloe Gong wrote These Violent Delights at the age of twenty one as a college student at the University of Pennsylvania, making history as her book climbed the charts. This novel is an enthralling historical fantasy retelling of Romeo and Juliet; from its enchanting setting in 1920s Shanghai to the mystery at the center of it all, it’s sure to get you hooked.

These Violent Delights by Chloe Gong
A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder by Holly Jackson

Satisfy your craving for a classic whodunit full of doubt, intrigue, and high school drama! The hints of romance combined with an intense landscape of twists and turns will leave your heart racing in Holly Jackson’s debut novel A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder. Plus, this murder mystery is a nail-biting story that brings about that classic spooky season atmosphere.

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

If you’re a fan of thieving, heists, and iconic friend groups, this book is sure to tickle your fancy. You may recognize it from the recently developed Netflix series Shadow and Bone, which is set in the Six of Crows universe with an original storyline that combines the two novels by Leigh Bardugo. If you haven’t yet picked up Six of Crows in book form, there’s no better time than the present. This action-packed adventure is set in the fantasy world of the Grishaverse, where the lawless mastermind Kaz Brekker and his crew of outcasts attempt to pull off a deadly heist. The stakes in this bestselling novel simply couldn’t be higher.

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
Sol Knapstad

Washington '23

Sol is a third year student studying Creative Writing and Law, Societies & Justice at the University of Washington. She is a published author of 5 years and loves reading, baking, hiking, and traveling in her free time.