Style > Beauty

Here are 6 tips to keep your hair healthy during winter season

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Everybody agrees that hair is an important part of each one’s essence and it can totally change someone’s look. Especially in winter, the strands tend to become drier, giving a frizzy aspect. Lucky you, we selected the best care tips for healthy and shiny hair during this cold weather.

Reproduction: Instagram

Frequency

Although it seems pretty trivial, the frequency that we wash our hair directly impacts our health. Washing every day promotes dryness, otherwise, delaying the wash increases sebum production so the most recommended regularity is to alternate days: one day you wash it, and the other you don’t. 

PRE-SHAMPOO

As the name says, it’s a treatment that is applied before the shampoo itself and can be found in various forms like serums, masks, oils, or sprays. For the winter, the best ones are those that protect the hair against conventional heavy substances, besides boosting moisturizing procedures. It should be used every 15 days or once a week depending on your needs.

Reproduction: Instagram

dON’T BE SHY IN HYDRATION

Literally the most important step on this list. In order for your hair not to become dull, use hydration masks and conditioners, then try regularly to make a more detailed application by rinsing the product lock by lock.

DRY BEFORE GOING OUT

For the sake of both your hair and your own health, never go out or sleep with it wet, remember to always blow-dry it before. Leaving the hair damp can make it brittle, so the best way to dry it is with a hair dryer, but first use a towel to remove excess water.

Reprodution: Instagram

lEAVE-IN

In addition to the tip above, the leave-in is a must-have in your routine. It serves as a protective layer around the hair fiber, defending it from heat sources, such as hair dryers. This product also has frizz-reducing and hydration properties.

HAIR OIL IS MAGICAL

Use oil and you’ll enjoy soft, shiny, and smooth hair! When applied, it becomes a powerful ally for any type of hair, giving hydration, nutrition, and reconstruction to the strands. It’s for daily use, can be applied before or after washing, and even on dry locks, just a few drops will be enough to give a magnificent look.

🧖🏽‍♀️ Related: #5 Reasons Why You Should Switch To Solid Shampoo Bars Now

The article above was edited by Camila Lutfi.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Cásper Líbero for more!

Livia Nomoto

Casper Libero '22

Hii! I’m Livia, a journalism student at Casper Libero. I'm obsessed with books, movies, fashion, beauty, pop culture and a few other things.