This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Many people use other hair products apart from shampoo and conditioner to take care of their hair, but how do you know which one’s the best for your hair type? I’ll be going over the best hair products for each type of hair, whether it’s straight, wavy, curly, or coily! I’m going to be reviewing the best types of oils, leave-in conditioners, and hair masks based on all four previously mentioned hair types. Additionally, to avoid any biased picks, instead of listing product brands, I’ll be mentioning the best ingredients and type of product for your hair!

Coconut, avocado and caster oils: which one’s the best for you?

Those who have used  hair oils have probably seen that there are different kinds, like coconut, avocado, and caster oil. Though which one should you really use? If your hair is somewhat straight it has low porosity, meaning that it’s hard for moisture to penetrate your hair strands. For this reason, it needs an oil composed of smaller molecules in order for them to stick to your strands for a longer period of time, and this is where argan oil comes in. Argan oil holds onto moisture for more time, which makes it ideal for straight hair. On the other hand, the curlier your hair is, the higher its porosity is. As a result, depending on how curled your wavy hair is you should use a lighter or heavier oil on it. Avocado oil is excellent for a high porosity wavy hair due to its amazing sealing properties or almond oil if it’s more on the lower porosity spectrum. Similarly, if your hair’s the curly type you should definitely use coconut oil or castor oil if your hair is coily due to it being an “excellent sealant”. All in all, these types of oils can be interchangeable depending on your preference and hair thickness.

Leave-in conditioners and moisturizers: what’s their use?

Both leave-in conditioners and moisturizers keep your hair saturated, but what’s the difference between the two and which one should you use based on your hair type? For one, leave-in conditioners are lighter than their counterpart and are water-based, so they’re more suitable for straighter or low porosity hair. On the contrary, since moisturizers are creamier and thicker versions of leave-ins they work best for curlier hair to lock in the moisture of high porosity hair. Remember: the curlier the hair the faster water penetrates it and in turn exits the hair follicles!

Your hair deserves to get a mask like your face, too!

If we already have oils to shine our hair and leave-in conditioners to moisturize it, why should we use hair masks? The truth is that these creams help repair damaged hair and restore its health If you have curly or coily hair you should use hair masks no more than twice a week in order for it to moisturize and not accidentally weigh down your hair. Finer hairs, on the other hand, such as straight and wavy types, should use them once a week.

Now… structure your hair routine!

Now that you know the kinds of hair products you should use for your hair type, you should create your own hair routine. There are countless videos of bloggers and dermatologists sharing their experience on the matter, though just remember that each routine is unique to its owner. Nobody’s hair is the same and therefore not all products will work on everyone’s hair. All in all, it’s important to understand your hair type and what it needs in order to keep it healthy.

Mónica Zoé Haddock Marrero is a contributor at the Her Campus at UPR chapter. She’s a writer and social media designer for the chapter’s online platforms. All things health, such as nutrition, exercise, skin-and-hair care and self-care are all things she has written about and will continue to do so. Also, engrossing topics involving science and research are Mónica’s main area of interest. Apart from being a proud member of Her Campus, Mónica is a recent member in the SACNAS organization which provides professional and research opportunities for STEM students. She hopes to become a professional herself within this fieldwork. Moreover, she is currently an undergraduate at the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras Campus, majoring in Biology with an emphasis in Molecular Cell Biology. In her free time, Mónica writes short stories about fantasy and science fiction, enjoys making (as well as collecting) earrings and reads comics and stories of all kinds, specifically within the romantic and drama genre. She mostly listens to jazz or lofi while studying, but when she’s doing other miscellaneous things, Mónica listens to pop, rap, love songs and even classical music.