jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Types of Guided Meditations to Get You Through Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carthage chapter.

Close your eyes. Breath in. Breath out, and allow the guided meditation to help you relax and feel at peace. Guided meditations are a type of meditation where you close your eyes, sit back, relax and allow someone to guide your thoughts with their words. Depending on the type of meditation, the narrator’s words can help you focus, become less angry or be more positive. There’s a guided meditation for just about anything you need. Allow me to guide you through the different types of guided meditations that you should consider trying.

1. Creativity and focus

The creativity and focus guided meditation is one of the best meditations for people who need new ideas, procrastinate or just need to get their work done—I know this from experience. This meditation helps when you need new ideas for an assignment such as an essay, an art piece or writing a song. Also, this meditation helps get you motivated to do your homework. 

Recently, I had a summer internship application due, and I couldn’t think of ideas on how to make myself stand out from other applicants, nor could I start the personal statement because I kept procrastinating. I knew I needed to get the personal statement done, but I couldn’t find the motivation to do it. Therefore, I did a combination of two meditations focused on creativity and focus to equal 50 minutes. I went to sleep afterward, and the next day I felt relaxed and ready to complete the internship application with new ideas and more focus.

2. Sleep/Deep Sleep

If you have trouble sleeping, this is the guided meditation for you. I personally never tried this meditation because I’ve never had trouble sleeping. But, if you have a sleeping disorder or feel like after sleeping you are not well rested, I’d recommend doing this guided meditation. This meditation is supposed to help you get into a relaxed state of mind so that it’s easier to fall asleep.

3. Anxiety, fear and worry

This meditation focuses on mindfulness. Mindfulness is bringing your attention to the present moment to prevent worrying or having anxiety towards the future or something that happened in the past.

“It helps me to stop overthinking,” says Jawaune Johnson, a junior at Carthage. “It helps me to be in the present moment and allow things to happen as is.

This meditation doesn’t have to be only for those who have anxiety. It’s a good meditation for anyone who’s seeking mindfulness.

4. Releasing anger and positive energy

This meditation is good to start your day off with so that you’re less angry, more calm, and more optimistic. I did this meditation in the summer before babysitting my four-year-old niece and nephew who would drive me crazy every day. This helped me to discipline them in a calmer way instead of screaming at the top of my lungs when they did something wrong. This meditation allowed me to look at everything in a positive light even if it wasn’t a positive situation.

5. For cutting ties and letting go

If you’re going through a break up or you’re trying to cut someone off from your life, this meditation will help you. Personally, after going through a break up, this meditation helped me get into the state of mind to move on with my life.

6. Meeting your future self

This meditation is all about meeting yourself, but in the future. If you have questions about the future that you would like to ask yourself, this is the purpose of this meditation. I haven’t tried this meditation, but I am interested in trying it soon!

Doing a meditation once to help cope with a break up will help, but doing it weekly will benefit you even more, and this goes for all the meditations. Doing them consistently can help you be more creative, more focused and less angry or less anxious.

Don’t allow meditation to be a one and done thing. This is something you have to practice like anything else to get the best results. There’s more than just deep breathing to meditation. Meditation is a lifestyle that can help you in more ways than you can imagine. There are all types of meditations on YouTube you can try that last from five minutes to 3 hours. Don’t hesitate to try one today. I promise you won’t regret it!

Nateya is a junior at Carthage College majoring in Criminal Justice with a minor in Spanish from Milwaukee, Wisconsin. In her free time she enjoys reading, and writing articles for her own personal blog.