This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

With the winter semester full steam ahead, self-care has never been so important. Giving yourself time and space is an essential part of maintaining your well-being and this can look like something different for everyone. Here at Her Campus at Carleton, we love cozying up and taking the time to really chill out, and we hope you’ll do the same! 

Say good morning to a morning routine – Cassandra Richardson, Treasurer

My top self-care tip is to take the time to have a morning routine! The morning sets the tone for the rest of your day. I’ve found that having a regular routine gives me time to wake up, get in some movement, and have a moment of calm before a hectic day. A morning routine could include anything you want, but I try to journal, do a bit of yoga, and meditate. Not only does my morning routine put me in a good mood for the rest of the day, but it’s also great motivation to wake up earlier.

And say good night to a nighttime routine – Rachel Fiset, Associate Editor

My favourite self-care tip is definitely having a nightly routine! It’s a great time to decompress before bed and take some moments for yourself. Mine is comprised of getting into my PJs and turning on some tunes — usually rock music to wake me up a little to wash my face and brush my teeth. To end off the night, I change the music to some relaxing low-fi and read a few chapters of a book. It’s really important not to go on your screens before bed or else you won’t get a full REM cycle! This nightly routine definitely helps me stop stressing about what I have to do the next day and really helps me get a good sleep.

Enjoy the great outdoors – Krissy Draper, Events Team Member 

My biggest self-care tip is getting outside at least once a day! Even if I’m busy with school or work, I prioritize getting outside once a day even if it’s only for a couple of minutes. Not only does it give you a change of scenery, but it also allows you to get some Vitamin D and fresh air! While I’m outside, I either like to go for walks, go on hikes, go for a drive, or even just stand outside. Getting outside has been one of the best things that I implemented into my life during the pandemic; it’s made the pandemic and online school a bit more bearable!

Clean up & calm down – Rawan Youssef, Campus Correspondent 

My favourite self-care tip is tidying up and decluttering. While I absolutely detest chores — especially when it’s something I’m demanded by someone to do — I really enjoy having a neat and pleasant-looking space. Being in a messy environment really messes with my peace of mind, so ensuring that my desk, bed, and closet are tidy and organized really goes a long way towards making me feel peaceful and in control. Sometimes everything can already be perfectly neat, so looking for things to declutter and get rid of is also just as effective. I can fully credit Marie Kondo for this, because these habits truly do have the most wondrous meditative effects.

Go no-contact – Rianna Lim, Senior Editor

My favourite way to care for myself is to completely go off the grid regularly, at least in a digital sense. No matter what, every night I’ll give myself a hard boundary for addressing phone notifications and checking work and school emails. I know that if I check that one last Microsoft Teams message or respond to another email, it’ll prevent me from getting a good night’s rest because it’ll keep me in work mode, which will inevitably lead to me feeling bad physically and mentally the next day. So, I definitely recommend setting a hard offline time to separate your downtime from work!

When in doubt, write it out – Ashley Hermalin, Associate Editor

As a writer, I would think that writing more as a way to take care of myself is the exact opposite of helpful. Writing is all I do, so why would I want to do it even more when I’m stressed? But it’s what I know. I know how to write, how to convey emotions into words, and how to tell a story. So, my very fancy diary with a shiny gold lock has become my favourite form of self-care. It helps me work out how I’m feeling and devise a plan to work through those emotions.

Do all of your faves – Emma Hodgson, Social Media & Marketing Director

When I find myself in need of a self-care day, I have a list of things I typically do. First, I like to sit down and do a full skincare routine: cleanser, vitamin c, moisturizer (with SPF) and a nice eye cream! Then, I continue with my everyday makeup routine because putting on a little makeup is always relaxing and makes me feel ready to tackle the day ahead. The next essential step to my perfect self-care day is coffee. I love the journey to the Starbucks drive-through: blasting music, singing at the top of my lungs and picking up my favourite cold brew. Everything about it is good for the soul! Next, I will typically make a healthy breakfast or lunch to go along with my comfort Youtubers or TV shows. Doing a few productive activities followed by relaxation is my key to having a perfect self-care day!

Finish off strong – Sherlly Russel-Kingsley, Social Media & Marketing Team Member

Make time to do something you like before going to bed! Be it an episode of your favourite Netflix show or reading a book, it’s nice to end your day having done something that you find joyful. We all have a million different things to get done every day, and it’s important that at some point, you take a little time off to do something that you enjoy. It doesn’t have to be productive or beneficial, it just has to make you happy!

It’s a tip I received from my counsellor since I used to feel guilty about doing tasks that I found enjoyable but not necessarily beneficial to me. But self-care isn’t about being productive, it’s about you and what your heart and soul need at the moment. Whatever it may be, allow yourself that time and space to enjoy.

Taking the time to prioritize self-care is a must on any to-do list. Take it from us here at HC Carleton – whether we’re getting outside or settling in, taking care of yourself can help you put your best foot forward!

Rianna Lim

Carleton '23

Rianna Lim is a journalism and political science double major at Carleton University in Ottawa, Ontario. She is a former Her Campus National Writer and the 2022-23 editor-in-chief of Her Campus at Carleton (and loving it!). She is a passionate reader, London fog lover, and baseball fan. Follow her on Twitter @riannalim02!