Stay Healthy This Year: The Basics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Between all the studying, (unhealthy) eating, and socializing, college is a  time you are destined for getting sick. But none of us want to risk the chance of getting sick, missing class,  and missing fun activities! So in hopes of beating the cold this time around, here are some tips to avoid the virus before it even hits:
Get enough sleep. Staying up until 3 a.m. with your friends may seem fun at first but it will take a serious toll on your health. Try to get in 7-8 hours of sleep a night. I know it might be difficult but doesn’t a good nights sleep  make you feel and look so much better in the morning? That’s what I thought.
Eat healthy. We all know campus dining isn’t the healthiest and when living on our own, it can be hard to eat and snack healthily. When you’re preparing or buying food, opt for fresh fruits, veggies, and meats. For snacks, step away from the Cheetos and opt for carrots dipped in ranch, apples and peanut butter, or nuts. San Luis Obispo’s farmers market every Thursday night is a great place to buy fresh fruit, vegetables and other great finds.

Wash your hands. This is an elementary rule, but when you’re living in closed quarters with a bunch of other people (in the dorms) or with roommates (in an apartment or house), it’s extremely important if you want to avoid a cold. Pack a mini hand-sanitizer into your bag before you go to class and use it before and after you eat.
Drink plenty of water  (and green tea). Dehydration can make you feel tired and can lead you to getting sick so keep that bottle of water around with you all day and drink up! Green tea is also great to have in your pantry because it’s filled with antioxidants to pump up your immune system. Put some honey in your tea and you’re good to go.

Exercise. Dedicate an hour of your day to visit our beautiful Rec Center and work out. You’re body and mind will thank you. Taking a break to go exercise is also a great way to release stress – something that’s great to do if you’re trying to avoid a cold. If you don’t feel like going to the gym, do some simple stretches and exercises at home. You’ll feel just as great as you would have if you went to the gym.
Get the flu shot! Super important for those who are living in the dorms or with others who have a tendency to get sick. Cal Poly’s health center offers the flu shot for just $9 so there’s no reason to not get it!
Have a happy and healthy year!
Leila is a second-year at Cal Poly, majoring in journalism with a concentration in public relations and a minor in graphic communication. She loves writing and is obsessed with fashion, looking to Vogue for fashion inspiration. Along with Her Campus, she represents Cal Poly's College of Liberal Arts (CLA) as a CLA Ambassador while involved in the public relations committe. She is also an active member of the Public Relations Student Society of America. When she's not writing, Leila enjoys spending time updating her blog she created, visiting the beach, and shopping with friends. She loves social media and is addicted to Twitter - @leiladurmaz