Wellness

Goodbye and Good Riddance 2020: 4 Not-So-Mainstream Resolutions to Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.
Manifest the s*** out of 2021

I’m sure you’ve heard of the law of attraction: if you put out positive thoughts, you receive positive results. Well after 2020, I realized how much we’re in need of some good change in the world…this is where manifesting comes into play. I did my research on manifestation techniques so you don’t have to. You can thank me later. 

1. Create a vision board. This will allow you to hone in on your passions, dreams, and energies you want to experience in your life. All you need are some magazines or printed images that align with your passions and goals (Pinterest will be your best friend for this project), scissors, and glue. What are you waiting for? Create your masterpiece, girl!

2. Keep a gratitude journal. If you simply shift your focus to what you’re grateful for, you will become more inspired to be a positive person. By writing down three things you’re grateful for each morning, you will be able to start off your day on a positive note. And with a positive outlook on life, the universe will bless you with more abundance. Afterall, gratitude is an attitude.

Become a mighty green machine

Eat your greens, drink your greens, wear your greens, and everything in between! Besides the obvious that you feel good when you put good things in your body, green juice will actually boost your immunity, improve digestion, reduce inflammation, and increase your energy. It’s simple, fill your body with vitamins and minerals. I promise your skin will thank you for this.

Dabble in some reading

This year is not only about self-improvement, it’s also about becoming more aware of worldly issues and what we can do to help. Spend 30 minutes with your favorite book before you go to bed. You won’t regret it. Here are some of my favorites: 

1. The Five Love Languages

2. The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People

3. She Comes First

4. So You Want to Talk About Race

Start a side hustle

I can’t emphasize this one enough! I decided to do this once quarantine began and I’ve never looked back. Not only does it feel liberating to dedicate some time in your day to something that you love, it’s a great way to turn your passion into an actual gig. The possibilities truly are endless with this one. 

2021 is the year for you to pursue your dreams and goals. 2021 is the year to create positive change. 2021 is the year to make an impact on others. 2021 is the year to embrace what is to come. Say it with me, “Goodbye 2020, hello 2021.” Didn’t that feel good?

Malia Sine is currently studying at California Polytechnic State University - San Luis Obispo with a major in Communication Studies. Malia studied abroad in Florence, Italy where she attended Milan Fashion Week and gained valuable skills from her fashion marketing and accessory design classes. Her passion for writing about innovative artistic expression stems from her love of aesthetic composition and innate ability to join separate components together into a beautiful whole. As a creative, Malia enjoys designing handbags, upcycling clothes, and creating mood boards for inspiration. She aspires to become a leader at the forefront of the fashion and beauty industry.