6 Feelings You’re Experiencing As Graduation Approaches

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

As graduation approaches, many soon-to-be grads are experiencing a confusing medley of feelings, ranging from excitement for (finally!) being finished with school, and dread for the uncertainty of  the future. As the idea of no longer being a college student consumes you, you’ll likely be experiencing some (or all) of the following emotions:

1. Anticipation

You’ve spent the last four years or more working towards this. So it’s understandable that some days you may feel like you’re dying of anticipation, not only for graduation, but for the next chapter of the life to begin. Graduation itself, not to mention starting on a whole new adventure, inspires feelings of anticipation that nothing else can.

2. Sadness

You’re likely going to say goodbye to friends, colleagues, and professors you’ve grown close to over the past few years, and it will be difficult leaving them, but that doesn’t mean you have to say goodbye. You will be able to keep in contact easily through the world of social media, and there will definitely be opportunities for you to come back and visit your alma mater in the years to come.

Related: 7 Things You Could Be Doing Instead of Studying 

3. Dread  

You’re not completely out of the woods yet. Before you can graduate, you’re going to have to complete one last round of final exams, which means a few more nights of lots of hair pulling, no sleep and maybe a few tears as you throw your textbook across the room. But just remember that it’ll all be worth it when you get to walk across that stage.

4. Excitement

Graduation is one the most important moments in your life, not only because it marks the end of your journey as a college student, but also because it marks your first step on your journey into the real world. There is nothing more exciting than that feeling you get when you walk across the stage and receive that diploma you’ve worked so hard for. Although it will definitely have its own challenges, just like Rachel from Friends, you’re gonna love it.

Related: 6 Things You’ll Miss About SLO If You’re a Graduating Senior

5. Fear

Regardless of whether or not you have a plan for yourself after graduation, the future can be harrowing. You’ll likely be moving to a new place and a new job, and it’s likely that there’ll be ups and downs with both, but that doesn’t mean you need to be afraid. The future can be scary, but it can also hold some amazing opportunities.

6. Pride

You’ll be feeling a lot of pride: for your school, for your friends who are also graduating, and most importantly, for yourself! Regardless of where you go, where you are from, or what you do with your degree, graduating college is a huge accomplishment, and you should be incredibly proud of your hard work and dedication to yourself and your education. Congrats grad!

Audrey is a senior studying agricultural sciences at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. After graduating, she plans to get a teaching credential and master's in Agricultural Education, and pursue a career as an agricultural science teacher and FFA advisor. Outside of school, she works as a teaching assistant at a local high school. In her free time, she can be found square dancing, rocking out to Taylor Swift, or whipping up tasty treats and (attempting) to take a decent photo of them for Instagram. Facebook: Audrey Lent Twitter: @TheAudreyLent Instagram: @Audrey_Lent