Why You Should (& Need to) Hang Out By Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

It’s so easy to get caught up in the whole FOMO, fear of missing out, thing in college. I mean, something’s always going on and your friends live right down the hall from you. Think about it this way: You get back from class, set down your backpack and immediately walk over to your friends’ room to see what they’re up to. You hang out for a while and do some homework, and then go to class again. After that class, you meet up with some friends to hit the gym and then you all go to dinner together. Later that night, everyone gathers in one person’s room to watch this week’s episode of The Bachelor. At some point during the day, you may have sat down to do some homework on your own, but other than that you spent the entire day surrounded by people.

But, what’s wrong with that? I mean, you don’t want to become a hermit, that’s for sure. The reality of the situation is that there’s always going to be something going on, but you can’t do everything. Constant socialization can be exhausting and with the amount of stress college students are constantly under, it makes sense that we need to take a little breather from the pulse of campus life and spend time on your own.

Why You Should Hang Out By Yourself:

1. You need time to reflect

Hanging out with your friends is awesome, don’t get me wrong. But, after all that socializing, your mind needs time to process things and just relax a bit. This leads me to my next point.

2. Zoning out is good for you

On the flip side, constantly focusing on conversation and social cues is exhausting. It’s really calming to have a moment to think about absolutely nothing.

3. You could meet someone new

Sometimes you and your friends are a little intimidating. It’s never fun to 3rd or 5th wheel best friends. When you do things on your own, you open up the door to new friendships and relationships.

4. You can be completely selfish for a few hours

Okay, so normally I do not condone this whole selfish act, but every once in awhile, it is okay to focus on you and only you. Take a little bit of time to do things for yourself. You don’t have to compromise to anyone else.

How To Do It:

Okay, so this all sounds great in theory, but how do you find the time in your schedule? Honestly, it’s all about small adjustments. Here are a few ways and ideas of how to find time for a little R&R.

1. Take yourself out to dinner

Okay, I know. Who goes out to dinner by themselves? However, it’s honestly one of the most refreshing things you can do. Grab a book, find a comfy booth and chill on your own for a little bit.

2. Yoga

Okay, just saying, yoga is the best thing ever to do on your own. The aim of the practice of yoga itself is mindfulness and meditation. Walking yourself to yoga and being completely present in your practice is an incredibly easy way to do something on your own.

3. Write in a journal

Journaling is super therapeutic. It’s also a really great way to reflect on your life for a while. My suggestion? Take a hike up to the cross, find a spot looking over campus or T.O, turn off your phone and write without limitations for a little while.

natalie elliott

Cal Lutheran

Natalie is a junior at California Lutheran University majoring in Communications with an emphasis in journalism and minoring in Global Studies and Spanish. She interned with the HC National office the summer before college and writes for the Features section for Her Campus Cal Lutheran. Her favorite things are window seats, chai tea, yoga, and Jesus.  
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!