BTC WELLNESS?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
BTC WELLNESS?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

During this year, it has gotten harder and harder to enjoy the present when we have no idea what the future holds. This year has taught us that we have no idea what each day will bring. For me, I have developed a lot of anxiety about the future since 2020 has not gone as I originally planned. I have days when my anxiety is so bad that I am unable to process all the good that is happening around me. However, I have developed some skills that have helped me calm down my anxiety and routines that give me something positive to look forward to every morning. One thing that I have learned that helped me stay present is to affirm myself that everything at this given moment is okay so there is no need to worry about what is to come. 

mental health scrabble tiles
Photo by Wokandapix by Pixabay

Social media culture revolves around people showing the highlights of their days, careers, and relationships. For so long, I would open social media apps like Instagram, Twitter, or Tik Tok just to obsess over the things I did not have. Looking at cute couples, stalking friends I am no longer in contact with, or comparing my body to a random model’s. If you have ever struggled with any of these, I strongly recommend taking a step back from it all and taking time to reflect on all the blessings in your life. Remind yourself of the many people who care for you and love you! This tactic has helped me stay present with myself and take in all the beauty around me. No one has it all, no one is perfect. Everyone is human and goes through their own struggles, remember that!

hand holding cell phone with social media apps open
Photo by Tracy Le Blanc from Pexels

Meditation in the morning and/or at night is a great exercise to help anyone stay grounded. I recently started meditating at night since that is when my anxiety is usually the worst. I just look up a 7-minute meditation video and follow the instructions of the YouTuber while making sure my body is comfortable and I have lots of water with me! Even though I do not practice meditation as much as I want to, I definitely look forward to dedicating more time to improve this skill!

girl meditating at sunset
Photo by Jared Rice from Unsplash

Journaling has been a huge part of my life recently. This activity helps me write out all my anxious thoughts and feelings about our world right now. Journaling gives me the opportunity to let out all of the feelings I bottle in throughout the day and I instinctively feel relieved after I am done. I also strongly recommend writing a few affirmations in the morning to help you stay present throughout the day. Some of the affirmations I write are, “I am blessed that I woke up this morning,” “I am grateful for my family and friends,” “I will work on being present with myself today.” These are small affirmations that have the power to change the outcome of your day!

journaling
Photo by My Life Journal from Unsplash

Staying present is hard, everyone can admit that. However, I hope these exercises help you whenever you are in the need of some peace. 

Elysia Williams

Cal Lutheran '22

HI! My name is Elysia but you can call me Sia for short. I am a leader of Delight Ministries at Cal Lutheran and a writer for Her Campus. In my free time, I am usually with my friends or family making memories.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!