This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

It has been almost a year since the start of the pandemic. I don’t think many people imagined that almost a year down the line, we would still be in this position. Naturally, we all have ups and downs due to the state of the world and being stuck inside. Self-care has never been more important than it is now. 

I believe that at least once a day everyone should do something for themselves. When our schedules are busy and we have a to-do-list that keeps getting longer it can feel like a waste of time and not as important as the rest of our jobs. However, looking after yourself and giving yourself something to look forward to each day, no matter how small, can drastically improve your day-to-day life.

Self-care doesn’t have to take a long time or be expensive to be effective. Here are some ideas to look after yourself and make yourself a priority!

• One of the best ways to relax is to watch a TV show or a movie. Watch an old favorite or watch something new that you haven’t had the time to watch yet. Have a movie night, grab your favorite snacks and try to forget about the things that are on your mind.
  • Eat something you enjoy and hydrate. Have whatever makes you feel your best. Some days that might be a smoothie and other days that might be some fries.

acai bowl
Photo by Taryn Elliott from Pexels

• Take the time to look after yourself! Have a hot shower or bath. I find that using products that are my favorite smells instantly boosts my mood! Do a face mask, moisturize and put on some comfy clothes.

• Go for a walk with your dog, family, or socially distanced with friends. Just sitting outside will boost your mood, you could even take a picnic to the park or beach.

picnic blanket, food and hat
Evangelina Silina

• I love listening to music and find that it instantly helps me feel better. Make a playlist of your favorite songs that you can listen to at any time.

• We have all had those nights we stayed up too late on our phones and regretted it in the morning. Getting enough sleep every night will make you feel better so make getting enough sleep a priority. It helps to get a routine in the evening to wind down. I find that having relaxing lighting in my room and a lavender spray helps me to get a good night’s sleep.

white pillows and white bedding
Photo by Priscilla Du Preez from Unsplash

• Do your makeup and put on a cute outfit. Even though we might not be going out and doing as much right now, I still enjoy putting on makeup, doing my hair, and wearing a cute outfit. It puts me in a good mindset for the day ahead.

• Sometimes you feel like treating yourself. If you have had your eye on a cute sweater for a while but haven’t bought it, or have been craving your favorite takeout but have been waiting for a special reason to get it, do it! This will give you something to look forward to and will make your day better.

scrabble quote "you will be okay"
Photo by Sincerely Media from Unsplash

Try to do something every day that you will enjoy. It is important to give yourself something to look forward to especially during this difficult time. Remember that you are worth it and looking after yourself is important!

Beth Baker

Cal Lutheran '23

I am a senior studying Psychology with a minor in Business Administration. I am interested in fashion, beauty and makeup.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!